Java Finch Courtship

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Java Finch Courtship

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:47 am

My male Java finch did a sort of dance about a month ago, but the female kept flying away; I haven't seen him display since. He still sings frequently. They mated a few days ago, and seem to be looking for a nest. They have been sleeping on the same perch together for about a month.
I hear Java finches allopreen, but my pair doesn't seem to have it quite right. One will begin to preen the other's head or neck, but then they will start beak-fencing while pecking and chirping at each other. Is this normal?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Java Finch Courtship

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 am

Icearstorm

Ive only had my javas a short time. They mate several times a day for months, yet not a single egg. :-L

Mine bicker from time to time as well, but nothing serious. I love vocalizations they make all day.

Hopefully you will be seeing eggs soon.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 am

Babs

It's odd; the female was silent until around last month. Now she won't be quiet! I'll have to move them to the breeding cage so they don't terrrorize the flight. Should I install the gouldian nest box or the larger, half-open society finch box? I can't seem to find any parakeet nest boxes for a decent price.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:31 am

Icearstorm

Mine sleep in those standard wicker nests societies love so much. I think it would depend on what nest they were fledged from. Do you know the breeder?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Babs
No; I got them at a bird fair. They seemed more interested in the gouldian nest box, but it's a bit cramped.
Now I'm not sure if I will attempt to breed them just yet. The gouldians are in full breeding mode and display several times per day, and there's no way I could fit two breeding cages plus a flight in the space available. How will I decide?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Babs
I went with the gouldians. I'll try breeding the Javas later.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Icearstorm

The woman I got my Javas from said she gave the Javas 4 different nests and let them choose. They chose a canary nest that didnt fit all the kids. And a few of them had to fledge early *chuckle* and gather in a box with nesting materials on the floor of the flight.

All ended well. I tried a canary nest, but my javas are so big and heavy they just knocked that sucker over constantly.

Eventhough I have no eggs, those birds are just having a party , if you know what I mean. ;) I suspect my male is older and infertile.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Babs
I guess I'll eventually have to spend the money and get a good parakeet nest box. They cost $11-$17 at the stores, whereas I was able to pick up my two nest boxes for $3 each at the Orlando bird show.

TarponConch
Pip
Pip

Post by TarponConch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:49 am

Hi. Be patient, be patient, be patient. I've come to realize that Javas are pretty meticulous, at least mine are. My breeding pairs will tear apart their nest several times before they get it just right, then they'll start with they're egg laying. I've been using budgie boxes, and they seem to work just fine. How about nesting material? What are you using? By trial and error I found something they really seem to love and prefer it over everything else. Lowe's carries a bundle of natural coconut fibre rope that they sell for about 3 bucks. We cut it up into roughly 6 inch pieces, then untwist it. This seems to work really well. Good luck, and again be patient

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:37 am

TarponConch
I was going to give them grass, ferns, and perhaps small sticks and pine needles. I may have some coconut fiber left over.

TarponConch
Pip
Pip

Post by TarponConch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:00 am

Well, whatever works, works. I tried all of that stuff, even shredded burlap, but the coconut fiber seems to be their preference. Good luck.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 am

TarponConch

Do your javas mate a lot without egg production?

TarponConch
Pip
Pip

Post by TarponConch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi. Have never had that problem. All their matings seem to end up with eggs, though not all end up being fertile. Basically it just seems like they get better at everything the more they keep at it. My javas are young, so that's pretty normal. It gets frustrating at times, but it's enjoyable to watch them progress as parents.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:50 am

TarponConch

They are in a flight in my office, so i watch them enthusiastically mate several times a day. Im wondering if females take longer to reproductively mature than societies. shes about 9 months old now. Sigh, hoping for babies.

TarponConch
Pip
Pip

Post by TarponConch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:15 pm

You know, you may be right about females taking longer to mature. I'm not expert, but in my experiences, my males always seemed ready to mate before the females. Course that could just be a normal boy girl thing for all species LOL. At any rate, the females that have mated, layed eggs, and had hatchings were very inconsistant with their mothering skills untill they did get a little older. So it may be better for them and you if she waits awhile to get going seriously. It's truly hearbreaking to watch young mothers not feeding their babies well, or tossing them out of the nest. It seems like allthe problems disappear after a couple of clutches and they figure it out.