My Java Sparow

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Cristina
Pip
Pip

My Java Sparow

Post by Cristina » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:48 am

Good evening. My Java rice sparrow has lost its strength in 2 right toes. I put Acheflan (a few times), but it did not help. A few days later, he lost his grip on all the toes of his foot, could not hold on to the perch.

Now he balances himself with difficulty. Often falls.

The other foot is getting bruised from holding the full weight. I read about super dosage of vitamins

I have given Vit D to him (De Pura), 1/4 of a drop (very little) in 70ml of water every 2 weeks.

I worry about him getting hurt when he falls off the perch, and that lack of strength in his fingers happens on the other foot.

Can you help me?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My Java Sparow

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:17 am

Cristina

Check for a tumor where his leg meets his body; this could interfere with grip. Wider perches and platforms will distribute his weight more evenly across his foot so he will be less likely to develop bumblefoot.

Vitamin D is fat soluble, and therefore more likely to be overdosed, possibly leading to kidney damage and calcification of tissues (which can restrict movement). Stop supplementing vitamin D for a few weeks and see if anything changes. He should be able to get enough vitamin D through eggfood and/or sunlight.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Cristina

Have youchecked the bottom of his foot for sores, or possibly bumblefoot?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Cristina
Pip
Pip

Post by Cristina » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Good night, thank you for the answer. I will check if there is a tumor.

He is not accepting Extruded ration and I don´t have how to take care of her in the sun, but I will suspend the vitamin D.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Do you mean by extruded ration, pellets? My Java will eat some Roudybush Nibbles, but not other types of pellets. They eat plain canary grass seed a lot and some white prozo millet seed, spray millet, kale that is chopped finely with a Ninja express chop, romaine lettuce, steel cut oats, oat groats, a little parakeet seed and twin beaks herb salad. I think about 15 minutes of unfiltered sunlight a day is all they need. Provide a place for them to get out of the sun if they want to.

Emma4
Pip
Pip

Post by Emma4 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Do you have a good vet you can go to?

How old is the bird? Are the toes weak and limp, or stiff and won't bend? Do any of the nails or toes look dark?

Cristina
Pip
Pip

Post by Cristina » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Emma4 wrote: Do you have a good vet you can go to?

How old is the bird? Are the toes weak and limp, or stiff and won't bend? Do any of the nails or toes look dark?
Dificult finding a bird´s vet. Her age is 4,6 yrs

Nails and fingers normal ( not black )

Finger are weak and limp

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm

If the bottom of the cage is just wire, provide a solid flat surface for her to rest on. This could be a flat rock or heavy paper like a piece of the brown paper grocery bags. I use contractors roll paper that can be purchased from Lowes. Even a reptile feeding dish with a little seed in it on the floor might help give her some rest from trying to hold on to a perch.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:05 pm

If you are in the United States, you can get a piece of pine screen molding from Lowes or Home Depot. It is an unpainted long flat strip of wood about 3/4 inch wide, and is easy to cut to make a perch out of. My Java likes it. It might be easier on the good leg to rest on until you find out what is wrong with her.

Cristina
Pip
Pip

Post by Cristina » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Thank you

Cristina
Pip
Pip

Post by Cristina » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Good night.

Do you think it can be a neurologic problem?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 pm

No, but then I'm not a vet. May be nerve or muscle problem.