Say hello to Emoji and Box (my first gouldians)

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
FrFrank
Pip
Pip

Re: Say hello to Emoji and Box (my first gouldians)

Post by FrFrank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:03 am

Someone in this thread said gouldians are not that active. Are they less so than other types, or do I have a reason to be concerned. I have just started with finches, and have 4 different pairs, in two different cages. I have a pair of spice in with the gouldians. The LGs seem to be less active than the spice, mannikin, or cordon blue. Any thoughts? I do not see anything irregular, other than they are constantly next to each other with little motion, especially compared to the other six birds. BTW, I used to raise German Rollers (canaries), so I am familiar with the basics of bird care, though new to finches.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:46 pm

FrFrank

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

You will find that Gouldians, are not as active as the Spice, Mannikin, and CB's.

They tend to be more calm than the other species you have, although they do enjoy flying and they like swings.

What type of Mannikins do you have, by the way?

Once we get the "picture feature" back up again, we'd love to see some pictures of your birds and your set up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

FrFrank
Pip
Pip

Post by FrFrank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the information. The gouldians are looking fine, so I wanted to know about their activity - or lack thereof. Thanks. No need to worry.

My mannikins are B&W.

I am waiting to receive nest boxes to give the birds a better habitat.

I built my cages around a shelf system from a hardware store, with the sides from a louvered plastic fluorescent light and wire shelving. I would like to share my design when able.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:32 pm

FrFrank

I just got a pair(?) of Black and Whites this Summer at our Feather Fest here in Calgary.

Aren't they just gorgeous looking little birds? I love them.

At the moment I have them housed with two pairs of Forbes Parrot Finches, but due to their bossy personality, I'll soon be putting them into a flight of their own.

I'll be looking forward to some pictures soon (I hope).

Best wishes.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm

andiok

Hello Andy,

Haven't heared much from you lately.
I hope all is well with you and the feathered kids (?)
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 pm

FrFrank

It's because they are observant. They watch-listen and can mimic. Watching sometimes means staying still. They are also still when you hover.

Step back and let their personalities unfold. You watch them, instead of them watching YOU.

Enjoy!

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 pm

lovezebs
Thanks Elana!
You’re always so kind.
Just been busy with work and I’m coaching soccer again this year.
Will post soon some pics because I’m done with the cage and I just got a new addition of birds last week

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm

andiok

Glad to hear that all is well Andy.

Will look forward to some pictures of the finished cage and the new bird babies, but hold off for a few days.

With the Forum still in transition, the picture posting feature is still disabled, but should be back to normal soon.

Have fun coaching the soccer team :-BD
~Elana~

FrFrank
Pip
Pip

Post by FrFrank » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks, Babs. But I am not standing next to the cage. :wink:

I am enjoying the sound of the birds. It's just that they are with me for ... about two weeks now, and I was asking b/c they LOOK healthy, but I know that can be deceptive. I sure don't want to lose these pretty birds to something I can avoid if they might be sick.

The LG's are why I decided to go back to having birds again. But, honestly, I would have been satisfied with less expensive birds now that I have them here.

I am enjoying the calls they are all making.

Fr. Frank (yeah, I am a Catholic priest)

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:03 pm

FrFrank

For a bit more animation, try just having males. They will posture and sing and do their silly hoppy dance in attempts to outdo each other.

The more males you have, the more competition. :D I hope that helps.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm

FrFrank

Hi again,

I think you're the first Priest on our Forum :-BD .

Your Gouldians, will become more animated as time goes by. They are actually quite curious and sweet once they get more comfortable around you. They will come right up to the bars and look at you and check out what you're doing.

Normally they don't become tame like the Hookbills, but they are quite endearing in their own sweet and gentle way. In the long run, I think you will come to appreciate them as much as many of us do.

Best wishes.

P.S. By the way, Diocesan or Rel Orders?
~Elana~

FrFrank
Pip
Pip

Post by FrFrank » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Lovezebs,

Thanks for the welcome. I belong to the Omaha Archdiocese, and a Secular Institute of priests. SO, I am kinda in both worlds: diocesan and religious. (I even have a fancy title in the Institute: Secretary General of the International Institute of the Apostolic Sodales - it means I have to go to Rome 4 times a year for meetings :D - at my expense :( - and I take the minutes of the meeting, so not really a big deal.)

I already am enjoying all aspects of the birds. They are a fun hobby.

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm

FrFrank

Father Frank, I just wanted to say hello. I got my love of birds partly from a Franciscan Friar, Brother Claver, in my home town as a child. He raised all sorts of birds and we would help feed them sometimes. Besides a large free flight room, he had a room upstairs with breeding canaries in cages. Outside he had a chicken and pigeon coop. I used to love to stop and watch them on my way home from school. My brother used to trade pigeons with him. I only wish I had been curious enough at the time to remember what kinds of birds they all were.