Say hello to Emoji and Box (my first gouldians)

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Say hello to Emoji and Box (my first gouldians)

Post by andiok » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi there. So this weekend i see an ad on Kijiji about gouldians and being with just javas and a pair of canaries for now, i jumped on it.
The guy only had youngs and this blue female Emoji :P (my son comes up with this original names, our canaries names are Scaredy Cat and Kleenex)
the guy had a flock of 10-12gouldians and they were in a decent size aviary.
Now the guy only had one old male and to sister females from the original birds (one of the sisters was Emoji) so that is why i didnt pick to youngs, they would have been siblings or step siblings. I know they are related anyways but at least not siblings.

Now im new to gouldians so any advice is really appreciated
here is them.
Emoji

this is supposed to be the male (i think i saw him singing for a bit)
the guy said he will be a red head and im really hoping for it
Box
http://imgur.com/a/hRM8j

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Say hello to Emoji and Box (my first gouldians)

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:08 pm

andiok

How are Emoji and Box doing?

We haven't heard anymore about them...
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:44 pm

andiok

I missed this! Yep judging by the beak, it's gonna be a redhead, and by the PB its a boy!

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 pm

lovezebs@Babs
right!!! I've forgotten to do an update on my little guys.
So..... Emoji was having a bad diarrhea since day one, so she went back to her owner.
here is some pics of her that i sent to her owner before i took her back.
Image Image
Now we got Wooden Block instead of her. Its a blue back but still a baby. So, Wooden Block and Box are together in a generous space cage but maaaan are they ever active. I have never had any kind of cage birds being so active and scared of everything. They fly so much. They look like hummingbirds and dont stop till the light goes off or if i go at least 8feet away. I don even dare use any colored dishes except for white and clear hahahah. I will post a video of them just so you can see

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Babs
You are correct. He is been singing quite a lot recently. Funny song. At first I thought it was the javas mating, you know when they do those love talks but then I see Box all engaged trying to put out some kind of song. Hahahha it was so cute.
Now the little Bb is supposed to be a girl according to the owner. I guess he thinks that because she doesn't sing and her brothers already have. Well will see

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:25 pm

andiok

Eeuew! That poop was definitely not good at all, yuck!!! Poor little birdie.

As for being so high strung and flighty, that is actually unusual for Gouldians. Usually when they're nervous, they tend to freeze and sit in one spot, moving nothing but their eyes when anyone is around.

Did you get these two from the same breeder as Miss Diarrhea? I'd keep a close eye on them, because that's weird behavior.

Gouldian song is a soft whispering sound. When you get a bunch of them singing together, it's actually quite sweet and calming.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 pm

lovezebs
Unfortunately yes. I got them from the same breeder. As you know is impossible to find any kind of birds around here. He kept Emoji with the other birds but had a lot of feeders. Now that being said both of them are under constant surveillance. I did the anti parasites treatment for internal and external and I'm just watching them for any kind of signes.
Now the fact that they are very active I think it would be because of them being born in a big aviary and now in the smaller space they will take time to adapt. At least that's what I like to believe

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 pm

andiok

I really hope so.
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:49 am

Here is a video of both of them like little hummingbirds
https://youtu.be/PoTM2SJT68s

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:11 am

andiok

Hi Andy,

I can tell you what the problem is.

First of all, the cage is too small for these guys. No room to fly, no where to get away from whatever scares them.

Second of all, I would recommend adding some plastic or silk plants and vines, both on top of the cage and inside, to offer them a sense of privacy, and security with areas where they can get away and hide if they feel the need to do so. Below, are some examples of what I mean...

Also I would recommend using wood dowels or natural branches for perches, not those little plastic guys, which offer no grip for their toes and nails.

Your new kid looks like a Blue, but not sure if a boy or a girl, too early to tell.
Attachments
20160209_134058.jpg
20160422_110907-1.jpg
20141122_123120.jpg
1409278820955.jpg
1422584012279-320x240.jpg
1422584012279-320x240.jpg (41.25 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 am

andiok

Do you think your male is going to try and mimic the Javas song? That should be interesting. One of my males (Merlin) mimics a little lame tune I whistle perfectly.....and the kids born last season all have bits and pieces of it in their songs.

Javas songs are more robust....I wonder if a gouldian could pull it off.

And yes, dear, I think they are going to need a bigger cage, especially coming from a big aviary. They are very nervous. Your birds are going to need to relax in order to molt properly. ;)

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 am

andiok

I forgot to mention their names are hilarious. :))

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am

lovezebs@Babs
You guys are right about the cage size, that's why I was building the breeding cages but unfortunately I hurt my hand 2 weeks ago otherwise the Gouldians would have been in that cage by now. The cage they're in was temporary for the time I was building the breeding cage. I feel awful and very bad about it now :( . I love my little guys

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 pm

andiok

Throw some vines over the top of the cage then, that will spill a bit over the sides of the cage, so that when they go up, they have that to offer a sense of security. I think you'll find that they will calm down a bit, if offered some shelter.

Then go and beat up the idiot doctor.... :YMDEVIL: lol.
~Elana~

waterboy
Pip
Pip

Post by waterboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:54 pm

nice, they look healthy, but yes cage is way to small, maybe put them up higher so they feel safer till you get the new cage built, looks like a young blue, and male looks like back head dilute