Some species questions

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Some species questions

Post by sparrowsong98 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 pm

So, the new cage will be here soon, and I started browsing Craigslist. I found a person with 6 soc`s, a couple other things, and, joy of joys! There was a white java rice sparrow! Now, there was only one. So, if I cannot find a mate by contacting the seller and finding out where theirs came from, I have no mate for him/her. But... I was wondering if a society mate would be suitable. They also have an owl and a cordon bleu (Skeptical of these as they are very cheap for the species though). Would any of these work, and would 3 societies and one java be good in with some zebs?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Some species questions

Post by Fraza » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am

If all the society's are in the same cage with the javas then the society's will stick together and lieave him out if he's alone with one they will be fine
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:18 pm

sparrowsong98

My java male Tux had to be housed alone, sadly for months, until I finally found him a mate.

I first put him in with the societies, but he was too curiously pushy and it really freaked them out. He grabbed one society by the leg. I pulled him out immediately.

I'll be housing my javas in their own double- flight and not mixing them with any other species. They aren't what I would call aggressive.....they are pushy and are BIG finches. And they are very confident.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm

I would not put a Java in with more passive finches. My javas have to be in their own space. They are to agressive to house with societies.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Babs Well then. That will break the one cage rule. Did they do anything to the other finches? They will be in with zebras, so I am a bit worried about putting soc`s in there alone. On the info page it did say they could be housed with passive and pushy birds, but were on the aggressive tier because they could deal with aggressive birds. Would I wind up killing something if I gave it a try?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 pm

sparrowsong98 wrote: Babs Well then. That will break the one cage rule. Did they do anything to the other finches? They will be in with zebras, so I am a bit worried about putting soc`s in there alone. On the info page it did say they could be housed with passive and pushy birds, but were on the aggressive tier because they could deal with aggressive birds. Would I wind up killing something if I gave it a try?

I've been in a few pet shops and seen breeders(which have aviaries) who have javas with society's and zebras even strfinch and they don't fight however in the pet shops they don't have beds so dunno if this is the reason
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Babs and keep in mind, said java is housed with the soc`s right now.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm

FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:12 pm

sparrowsong98

If it's housed with societies and no issues....I dunno. My 1st java was housed with zebras and he has this bad habit of grabbing other finches legs in midair and pulling them down on the ground.....making the other finch squawk in pain.

His mate kicked his face in with her beak after he did it to her a few times X( now he stops that nonsense. All my javas squabble a bit (I think it is a java-thing)....but all four are big enough to argue and lay down boundries without physical fights or injury.

My societies would never have the courage to discipline him.

If you've ever seen a java in the flesh. They are BIG and their beaks sizable enough to hull the buckwheat seeds I feed my parrot. Their beaks can break another finches legs without much of an effort.

Go and meet the little java. Feel him out. Might be a very peaceful guy. They have been known to be housed with other species by some.

The male java song is my favorite in my birdroom, and their antics are quite interesting to watch.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:28 pm

sparrowsong98

This is a typical squabble that goes on between my pairs. They don't hurt each other, but I dont know how a society would handle it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbVQZOs7b9U

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Babs hmm... Now you have me worried about those be zebs. They can be sitting on the perch, nice as you please, when that naughty Addy will reach over and grab some feathers.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Babs but buckwheat! They are around 'keet size ( them being 6" the 'keets being 7") but that beak! I have never seen one in person, but I have seen them up to zebs though, and they do look like monsters. But would it feel alone with a soc, or would the three ignore the Java and make it lonely? Would the owl be better? I am worried about the owl though. 20 bucks for those guys is too cheap.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:30 pm

sparrowsong98

I keep both Java finches and societies in a flight with only minor issues (occasional growling and stealing; no fighting), so cohabitation is possible with mellow Javas. However, if you have no plan B, I wouldn't risk it.

Mine never associated with the society finches, so it is unlikely the pair would bond unless each bird was partially imprinted on the other's species.
Attachments
White female Java on left, normal male on right
White female Java on left, normal male on right
Last edited by Icearstorm on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Babs
Interesting; mine never fought. They used to growl at each other when wanted the same perch (now they're happy to share it), but that's the most they ever did. They still growl, but no aggressive posturing accompanies it, so I guess that's just something they do. Allopreening looks a bit rough, though.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:52 pm

My first pair of Javas, which escaped, were pretty aggressive to other birds and couldn't be caged with them, but my favorite pair of Javas which I adopted later - and those I had the longest - were basically species-blind with society finches, would sleep in the middle of their flocks and feed their babies. It was adorable, and they were like the leaders of the flock and wouldn't settle to sleep until everyone else was safely tucked in for the night.
The third pair were indifferent, but not aggressive in any way.
~Dylan

~~~