Seagreen Pied Parrotfinch hens

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Seagreen Pied Parrotfinch hens

Post by 608duj » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 pm

These were bred by Rich in CA. I got them from Haider in WI when he had to relocate. Wonderful birds.
Attachments
P1010001.JPG

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Seagreen Pied Parrotfinch hens

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 pm

608duj

They are beautiful.

I wish I could grab one for my lonesome sex maniac Red faced PF. Can't find a female anywhere around here.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 pm

608duj - yes, they are very beautiful. Do you know if you have males/females? Do they all get along? The males are not relentlessly chasing the females? That's what I've always heard about parrot finches.

lovezebs - Elana, Rich only lives about 15 minutes away from me. But for the above mentioned reason I've never gotten into parrot finches. Well, that's not quite true. I have one male hybrid (red faced/blue faced) that I bought from a lady not far from here. She had this photo on craigslist and my husband fell in love with the bird. So far he's behaving himself. He also has a nice little song.
Iso

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 am

I separate my PF youngsters by sex as soon as I can, otherwise the hens can be traumatized/killed by the males competition. This is common behavior in birds of all species in a confined environment where the hens cannot escape by flying away to the next county.

The hens go in one flight and the males in another. They can be adjacent
but not in contact. Sexing youngsters is a continuing challenge with this species. I recently found an egg in the male flight, so removed what I thought was a perhaps ? hen. A week later there was another egg. Do not know if it was a new egg or an earlier laid egg that was hidden in the foliage scruff.

In general, the more longitudinal space the PFs have the less trouble you will have with dominant behavior.
For breeding cages I use one pair to a 3x3x2. It is normal courtship for a male to chase the hen, but when there are too many males chasing one hen she will be chased to death. Know your species before you set them up. Otherwise you are putting the hen into a potentially fatal situation.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:05 pm

isobea 608duj

My guy doesn't care which species or gender he nails, that's why I had to get him away from my poor Societies, he was driving them crazy.

He now lives with three Javas and a few Zebras. His next home might be the soup pot, if he doesn't start behaving himself :roll: .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 pm

608duj wrote: I separate my PF youngsters by sex as soon as I can, otherwise the hens can be traumatized/killed by the males competition. This is common behavior in birds of all species in a confined environment where the hens cannot escape by flying away to the next county.

The hens go in one flight and the males in another. They can be adjacent
but not in contact. Sexing youngsters is a continuing challenge with this species. I recently found an egg in the male flight, so removed what I thought was a perhaps ? hen. A week later there was another egg. Do not know if it was a new egg or an earlier laid egg that was hidden in the foliage scruff.

In general, the more longitudinal space the PFs have the less trouble you will have with dominant behavior.
For breeding cages I use one pair to a 3x3x2. It is normal courtship for a male to chase the hen, but when there are too many males chasing one hen she will be chased to death. Know your species before you set them up. Otherwise you are putting the hen into a potentially fatal situation.
Very nice pied's you have there mate, I do very much like these parrot finches and have red faced parrots meself,

Very true words indeed :thumbup:

Be lucky

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:24 pm

608duj - Thank you for describing your setup and how you handle their 'personalities'. One day I might attempt keeping a pair but right now I have a good, peaceful balance in my aviary and I would hate to upset that.

lovezebs - I can't believe he still causes some problems with your big javas around. I'm sure keeping an eye on my guy and he will be the first to go to a new home if he starts terrorizing any of the other birds.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm

isobea

He did try with the Javas, but it didn't go over too well for him. He kinda lost his tail in the attempt :twisted: but it has since grown back again, lol.

Poor guy, he's desperate B-(.
~Elana~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 pm

lovezebs - are there avian vets who could 'fix' him? Take the hormones away and he'd be a sweet little guy... :wink:
Iso

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 pm

I do not want to discourage anyone from trying Parrotfinches. They are exemplary parents, and delightful birds if you keep them properly. Also, compared to their Gouldian relatives they are robust and easy keepers. I rarely lose a Parrrotfinch, juvey or adult, but with the Goulds they can be alive one minute and dead the next for no apparent reason.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 pm

isobea

Iso,

Hah hah haaah!!!

I sincerely doubt that you can neuter a sex maniac Parrot Finch.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 pm

608duj

I am very fond of Parrot Finches really, even my little Red Faced sex maniac, lol.

My Forbes pair, are absolutely enchanting, and I'd love to see them breed.

I would also love to get my hands on a pair of Blue Faced P.F.'s at some point.
~Elana~

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 pm

I bred Forbes for several years and loved them. But there was no market for them in WI, and little serious interest outside of my area, so finally sold them all to someone that felt they had a market. Breeding compatibility can be difficult to achieve, and I had numerous babies that fledged with malformed feet.

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:10 pm

I meant to attach this to previous post about
Forbes.
Attachments
forbes 7.24.42 AM.JPG

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 pm

608duj

You mention breeding compatibility, not sure if I follow. Was it difficult to find compatible pairs?

Regarding the chicks with malformed feet, were the parents closely related to one another?

I would love to know more about your breeding experiences with the Forbes. What sort of nests they like to use, what types of foods gets them into breeding mode, what do they like to feed their chicks, etc. Do they need to breed young, like the Red Throats?

Would appreciate any bits of information that you're willing to share.
~Elana~