Do escaped canaries become naturalized?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Do escaped canaries become naturalized?

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm

I haven't lost a canary to the great outdoors, but I can imagine that it happens.

For those of you in climates that stay above freezing---do escaped canaries naturalize?

I've seen that some monk parakeets have naturalized even in Chicago. http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2016/03/ ... -hyde-park

Canaries are tough birds, and in an outdoor aviary do fine even in temperatures below 32° F (0° C). Does anyone see flocks of naturalized canaries in their area?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Do escaped canaries become naturalized?

Post by Fraza » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Sorry not me but I won’t to keep folllowijg the post to see who does see them naturalised
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Dave

Sorry to hear that you lost your bird Dave.

Most pet birds sadly do not survive in the great out doors. Having no skills or instincts of survival, they fall prey to cats, dogs, other birds, or people who are not kind, etc.
They also have no knowledge of how to find food and water, or shelter from bad weather.

Personally I would leave some food and water out in a safe spot, just in case he circles back. You might just be able to entice him back, if you happen to have his mate in a cage.

You could also try to put out posters in case someone finds him.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Nope sorry mate I doubt it very much that yer canary will ever survive,

They'll have difficulty in sourcing their food as their obviously not like a native finch because canaries are a domestic breed that that have been originally formed from the wild canary over the last couple of centuries or so,
Apart from the fact that a canaries brighter colouration would stand out to any Hawks and Falcons that could possibly be in the area

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Canaries have no wild instincts. They are cheery, bumbling birds without any fear of predators and a high susceptibility to insect-borne pox diseases carried by native birds in some regions. Generally they are also weak flyers. They are among the least suited of all birds to survive in the wild. I have seen budgies survive for some time in the wild by flocking with wild birds, but I can't picture a canary doing as well. They are much more labored flyers and not as inclined to join a group for protection.

I do have local wild monk parakeets, they survive by merit of numbers, local bird feeders, and their habit of building huge communal nests in which to stay warm in the long winter nights.
~Dylan

~~~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:42 pm

lovezebs, I didn't lose a bird to the outdoors. You probably mis-read the first sentence of my post.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Dave

I must have been looking at it cross eyed, lol.

I would have sworn that it said: " I have lost a Canary to the great outdoors..." :oops: .

That's what age does to one's eyes, you start seeing what isn't there, and not seeing what is there....and I'm not that old yet. God help me in the future 8-} .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 am

I started thinking why everyone sayin sorry about your bird but i doubt it will survive
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3