What Are These?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: What Are These?

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm

lovezebs wrote: Stuart whiting andiok

Hi Fellas,

Is this the Linnet which you are talking about?
Can they be crossed with Canaries?
Yes Elana they certainly can be crossed with canaries, linnet mules are probably one of the easier mules to try and breed :-BD and happen to be me favourite mules of all

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Stuart whiting
It’s got to be the diet, you’re right.
I have to say thought that I’ve used the most expensive supplements (vitamins/minerals/herbs) on the European market for me birds and the Goldie’s would get a great red mask no problem but the linnets.....never the same as the wild ones. I wish I could find them here in Canada though. It would be a great addition for me

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Stuart whiting

So, if you cross a Linnet and a Canary, do their progeny retain the Canary song, the Linnet song, or a mixture of both?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:26 am

andiok wrote: Stuart whiting
It’s got to be the diet, you’re right.
I have to say thought that I’ve used the most expensive supplements (vitamins/minerals/herbs) on the European market for me birds and the Goldie’s would get a great red mask no problem but the linnets.....never the same as the wild ones. I wish I could find them here in Canada though. It would be a great addition for me
Yea shame really that yer don't get linnets up at yer end of the globe, there more of a British / European finch in a wild state,

I suppose one could say that I'm blessed with em here seemingly that there me overall favourite native finch :-BD

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 am

lovezebs wrote: Stuart whiting

So, if you cross a Linnet and a Canary, do their progeny retain the Canary song, the Linnet song, or a mixture of both?
You generally get a variation of mixed song between the linnet and canary,
What we used to do was never have any cock canaries and when any youngsters fledge they then only here the cock linnets, yes they pick up on the odd tweet sounds from the canary hens but as for song it should then be all linnet, well that's what we aim for #-o ....lol

I haven't bred linnets and linnet mules for a few years now as I'm very much into me waxbills and Australian finches but never know maybe one day I'll perhaps breed a few again,

Can't beet a very good linnet mule for song :YMSMUG:

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

lovezebs
Sry just saw your question Elana.
Yes i have crossed linnets with canaries and goldfinches with the purpose of a better song.
Its very common to make hybrids with singing birds, especially with goldfinches.
You need lots of different spaces in your home to train different bird songs though because they shouldnt hear anything but the training song or training master (this would be your maestro teacher bird)

I have to say that i've always aimed to get a beautiful goldfinch song, so i could teach my young goldies that song. With linnets that was not possible because their mules with goldfinch or canary will add voices from their repertory as well and that defeats the purpose. But they are beautiful birds though.

here is a the linnet and his song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyz1RXaGrcg

here is the mule with a canary singing as a goldfinch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lai1oBDbd_I

here is the mule with a goldfinch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vsqtSK1T80

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 pm

andiok

Thanks for the sites.
They do have a pretty song, but to my ears not the same as a Canary.

What I would love to get my hands on, is one of these Canaries:

https://youtu.be/n3gl_04cEJ0
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm

lovezebs wrote: andiok

Thanks for the sites.
They do have a pretty song, but to my ears not the same as a Canary.

What I would love to get my hands on, is one of these Canaries:

https://youtu.be/n3gl_04cEJ0
Oh jeez Elana, Linnets and Linnet mules are leagues ahead of canaries as far as song goes, I've seriously seen money change hands of up to £700 - £800 for quality singing Linnet mules in the East London pubs a few years back,

To many of us cock canaries just sound so boring as it's the same repetitive song over and over, the Linnet however has at least several different songs and the vocals are so fernominaly powerful at times.

It would be unfair of me to say that Linnets sing better than Goldies as Goldies and their mules also sing remarkably well and in some cases equally as good as a linnet mule but me personally I just prefer the Llinnet, always have done and always will, it's what you get used to because I grew up with em from an early age.

Singing Linnets, Linnet mules, Goldies, Goldie mules, chaffinches and sky larks were a very famous event that used to take place around the East end of London every Sunday morning,

England is quite possibly the worlds most renowned country for quality singing mules, other European countries are well up on their singing mules aswell but not a patch on England,

However Belgium is very famous for holding singing chaffinch competitions and actually still hold these events to this very day

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Stuart whiting@lovezebs
Stuart could not agree more but some people just haven’t had a chance to look at those birds singing and haven’t seen how much actual interest people have in singing birds. I’ve never had a non song bird in my life till I moved to Canada. Because I couldn’t find any.... :(
Back in Albania goldfinches/chaffinches/siskins/green siskins etc etc come and nest in my yard. Lol

Elana I’ve worked a long time with song canaries as well. I’ve had any type of song canary.
This Russian singer is just bs. What that bird is, is a Spanish timbrado pure. You get some very young males of the Spanish timbrado from that friend you told me and teach them the Russian singer song of your choice and see the results

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

andiok

What about this video of a russian canary? Is it the real thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0dywopBoMk

It's interesting a Spanish timbrado can be trained to sing like that.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Rob andiok

I think the flute song is amazing, however they attain it.

Young male Canaries learn their first songs from their Fathers, so if you have males which have already learned their Fathers songs, and the Father is not a flute singer, how would the kids pick it up?
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Rob
That a nice song too. Again if you properly train a canary, especially the song bred canaries, you’ll get impressive results.
This is one of my young nightingale canaries I used to breed. This bird mimics the nightingale and some other wild birds but nothing from the ordinary song of a normal canary
https://youtu.be/ioikKHvYb3o

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:59 pm

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 am

andiok

Not sure if I understand Andy,
You place them in tiny individual cages in a large cardboard box, and then what?
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:22 am

lovezebs
Those tiny cages are schooling cages. Those are the standard sizes recognized by the COM
After their first molt In a flight, males go through a 3-4 months school by listening to a maestro bird or CD player with your favourite song.
Their cages are placed in a schooling cabinet (a cardboard box in my case) to isolate them from listening to other bird voices other then your cd.

Here is an article from the western waterslager website
http://www.western-waterslager.com/Arti ... aining.htm