Zebras are not for me.

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Zebras are not for me.

Post by Sheather » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 pm

I will not be keeping zebra finches if it's up to me any time in the near future. Simply too frantic and unpredictable.

I took in two males for my neighbor a few weeks ago, and they were so pretty and seemed very bonded, I thought it would work. They did pretty well when I was able to let them fly outside their cage, would even share a nest at night snuggled together. After a few days where I couldn't do that, though, they started to attack each other horribly! I thought it because of the nest, so I took it out. Still one totally dominated the other and in the evening when they wanted to roost, he started pulling out huge tufts of feathers and beating up his cage mate so that he had to sleep on the floor. If he moved during the night, I'd hear the other come down and beat on him further. :( I took pity on the one, and put him in with my canaries... but same thing come evening, he would fly full speed into them and try to yank feathers.

I took them to the pet store today, where they were put in with about twenty other zebras in a big flight. I feel sad, because they were so pretty, but I just couldn't deal with them. From my experience zebras do well in an aviary. I don't know how anyone is able to keep them in a cage without them killing each other and especially how they can be kept with any other species. Maybe other people's birds aren't as violent as most of mine have been...

For me, societies are the perfect finch. They may be plain, but they are gentle and calm. I don't think I will be tempted again by any little orange cheeks and red beaks any time soon.
~Dylan

~~~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Zebras are not for me.

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Sheather I am a slave to the zebs. I hate them, and yet I can't bear to give the birds up either.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:17 am

I've had quality exhibition zebras over the years Dylan and to be honest I won't have em eaither, blimmin pain in the back side if you ask me :-W
Don't get me wrong as yea they do look nice and all that but they are just so temperamental and have found em to be so frustratingly annoying because of there constant bickering and bullying with themselves and towards other birds,

Jeez I'd go absolutely ape if they were to bullie me waxbills ~X(

I give me zebras up years ago, however I'm still partial to the odd few bengalese as these are completely different, gentle nature, even cocks getting on together, brilliant fosters etc and to me better domestic cage bred birds all round........Oh and not forgetting me waxbills aswell :-BD

Be lucky

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 am

Sheather

I would have done the same thing Dylan. You can't put your other birds at risk. And the sound of a bird getting ravaged in the middle of the night must have been scary for your whole flock. :shock: They deserve to feel safe at night. I-)

Zebras I dont think I will ever own either. All the posts on their aggression I've seen over the years put me off from the species. I like to admire their awesome mutations....thats all.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 am

sparrowsong98 wrote: Sheather I am a slave to the zebs. I hate them, and yet I can't bear to give the birds up either.
This made me laugh!! :))

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 am

Sheather

Hi Dylan,

Sorry to hear that the two Zebra boys didn't work out for you. Some lines tend to be more aggressive than others.

Then again, how can anyone resist this face??? :)
Attachments
20160317_165520-1.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Oh, sure- they look so innocent...like the notorious bank robber of the 1920s 'Baby Face' Nelson....he looked sweet and innocent too LOL

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 pm

lovezebs
Elana, that is just my problem. My zebs need to go and I know it, but Addy and macho are too cute to sell, but a society would be the best choice. I might just sell Addy and buy a new Mrs. Zeb for macho. Someone who doesn't pluck.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:19 am

sparrowsong98

One problem, how will you know that the new Mrs Zeb will not be a plucker??? :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:38 am

I’ve had society’s that are horrible at the moment I have one in a cage because she’s to aggressive hoping that if she has a clutch of chicks she will settle down but have had gentle zebras I do have to say tho once I had to get rid of a female zebra because she would attack every finch that went on the same perch or next to her pair, this trait carried in her female chick which I had to leave in cage with 6 society’s with no other society’s this calmed her down hahah

Think I’ve had beginners luck with them :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Not for me either, I have been tempted a time or two by their adorableness, but manage to control myself as I know what I'm getting into if I cave.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:23 am

I've had a lovely male zebra since early spring and he has coexisted nicely with my societies and a spice finch. He has tried so hard to court Miss Spice but she says he's just not her type. He's the friendliest of my finches and always flies near me if I approach the cage outside. Inside or out, he has been very nice so far. I just added a female zeb to the mix. I hope I don't regret it.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 am

I just added a female zeb to the mix. I hope I don't regret it.
You probably will..... As soon as they pair up, then they get territorial, and terrorize the rest of the birds in the flight.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:47 am

Millenia u may regret it or u may not haha

One of my pairs of zebras have started to turn nasty however one pair has stayed very nice (however the female was adopted by society’s and she thinks she’s a society ) luckily her pair also follows her around and doesn’t go off with the zebras instead sits with all the society’s

So maybe that’s why #-o
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:47 am

wilkifam wrote:
I just added a female zeb to the mix. I hope I don't regret it.
You probably will..... As soon as they pair up, then they get territorial, and terrorize the rest of the birds in the flight.
I was feeling so bad for him. I found him hunkered down in the bird feeder because they wouldn't allow him in their nest. It got down in the 30s the other night and I mistakenly thought he and Miss Spicy were sharing the spare nest. I was wrong. She was in with the societies and he was all alone. He's such a charming little guy. Darn I hope he doesn't turn into a tazmanian devil. I think the female is very young. He looks huge compared to her.