For New Gouldian Owners

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

For New Gouldian Owners

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Hello Fellow Gouldian Fans,

In my internet travels, I came across one of those sites which I consider a bit of a treasure for all Gouldian beginners, breeders and those who just love learning more about keeping and caring for this lovely species of birds.

Hope you enjoy it and find it helpfull, as it answers many questions which a lot of people have.

https://goo.gl/images/sBMbsv

Please click on 'visit' to get into the site.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: For New Gouldian Owners

Post by lem2bert » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 am

lovezebs

Great post ....I have that site as a favorite and return to it many times for information. You are absolutely right it is a great site for Gouldian beginners !!! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm

lem2bert

Hi Betty,

Glad to hear that this is a useful site for you, and hopefully for others as well.

It has so much good information in it, and answers so many questions that new Gouldian lovers (and not too new as well) have and are afraid to ask, lol.

How are the Gouldian kids doing by the way???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 pm

lovezebs

You are absolutely right and I am sure I will be using it many times more !! :) I am keeping my fingers crossed.....Their is one pair that definitely has chicks.....I can see little heads popping up to be fed and can hear them !!! They do not mind me in their cleaning and feeding....but I have to keep cleaning to basics....unfortunately the trees are not being cleaned as nice as I would like them to be :( ......but they do not mind me being in there to feed, water, wash floors and clean perches and feeding stations.... :) I am constantly filling egg dishes and fresh food and egg shells....but hopefully it will work and they will not abandon the chicks.... [-o< I cannot do nest checks but I would say maybe another 2-3 weeks and maybe they should be starting to fledge.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm

lem2bert

That is wonderful news!!! :-BD

I found my Gouldi's to be quite tolorant with cleaning, etc.
They were even quite wonderful with my borrowing their babies occasionally :YMHUG: .

Keep the eggfood and spray millet coming, and before you know it babies will be fledging and getting under your feet, lol.
20171028_185506.png
They are absolutely adorable at that stage <3 .
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:05 am

lovezebs

Thank-you for the vote of confidence !!! They are such a wonderful pair of parents, always one in the nest most of the time both are in there feeding them at the same time. :D I cannot wait to see them fledge, yours are so adorable sitting there on the perch <3 I will keep you posted !!!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 am

lem2bert

Congrats on the gouldian chicks! Can't wait to see the pictures! :YMDAYDREAM:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am

lem2bert

Hi Betty,

Do you happen to know when they hatched?
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 am

Babs

Thank-you Babs, I cannot wait to see them either !!!! :D

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

lovezebs

Not exactly but I heard them on the 8th of November. I cannot check inside the nest because I would have to get on a ladder and just feel that would spook them, so I am going by the 8th as an approximate date.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm

lem2bert

Good morning Betty,

If you heard them on the 8th, then I would 'guess' that they probably started hatching on the 5th and or 6th. They're usually not very vocal on the first couple of days. So, you might have fledglings as soon as the 26th or soon after, how exciting is that =D> .

Now my memory fails me, what colour are the parents again ?
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

lovezebs
Oh my I am so excited....I cannot wait to see them !!
The male is a red head, lilac breast . This is the first time I bred him. The female was one my friend gave me and she had bred her with another male. She is a Black head lilac breast split to white. They are both green back. I cannot wait to see what the babies look like. :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm

lem2bert

Gouldian babies are like little Christmas presents, always a lovely surprise when they unwrap themselves out of their drab green and feather up into lovely rainbow beauties.
~Elana~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:25 pm

lovezebs

Well I got a Christmas present this morning. I was feeding the birds and two little red cheeked bleu's came out of the nest. :D Watching them closely to make sure they can make it up off the floor. The parents are trying to get them to fly, but I never bred waxbills before so I do not know if they are too young to fledge. They appear to be fully feathered , but I do not want to bother them too much right now. I guess I will have to put them in an incubator if they do not fly by tonight. Would that be the right thing to do ?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 pm

lem2bert

Hi Betty,

Congratulations on baby Waxbill fledglings =D> .

When were they expected to fledge?

Personally I would leave them alone. You really don't want the parents to abandon them at this stage, as handfeeding would be a nightmare for you.

What's the temperature in your Bird Room?
If it's around 20C (68F) or there abouts, I wouldn't worry about them, they'll be fine. As long as parents are feeding them all should be well.
~Elana~