introducing a new Society finch to a single one?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Tessa
Pip
Pip

introducing a new Society finch to a single one?

Post by Tessa » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello all,

One of my two female society finches has died and we want to arrange for a new companion for our surviving one. We have no other birds so the little one is all alone at the moment.

I assume I have to quarantine a new bird before putting her in the main cage? How long would I do that? Do I allow them to check each other out in the meantime (put their cages side by side) or keep them in separate rooms? Then at some point the second one goes in with the first and I assume they take it from there?

Our remaining bird used to pluck the neck of the other one. I hate to subject a new bird to that but don't know what I can do to stop it :(

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: introducing a new Society finch to a single one?

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Tessa
As to quarantine I'm not sure. ask lovezebs about the quarantine period. However it is common sense not to put the cages side by side because and diseases or viruses can easily be transmitted through the pars at such a close quarters.
As for the plucking problem get a feather duster and put it in the cage for her to pluck. You can pm me with any other questions you have.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Tessa

Quarantine is usually recommended for at least a couple of weeks, with the cages preferably being in different houses. However, that isn't exactly practical; they should be fine in separate rooms, so long as you wash your hands after dealing with the new bird's cage.

Society finches are usually peaceful, but for more aggressive birds, move the cage furnishings around prior to adding the new bird.

Plucking could be a sign of nutritional deficiency (often protein or calcium), aggression/overcrowding, or breeding behavior; it's hard to know for sure. She might stop plucking as much if she has a bit of grass or something to play with.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am

I usually just leave them about two weeks if they have came from a clean place and not a scruffy pet shop some I’ve had from certain pet shops I keep in the cage and don’t put in aviary for loger
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3