New BCCB fledgling pics

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: New BCCB fledgling pics

Post by a_gouldian » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:45 pm

isobea wrote: a_gouldian - oh wow, a brand new hatchling. Congratulations! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that this time they will raise their young successfully.
What are you feeding them? Are they possibly like the strawberry finches I used to have who tossed their chicks if I didn't replenish the mini mealworms several times a day?
Iso
Well, the two chicks were tossed today. We put the two chicks and the remaining egg with some Societies but I don't know if they will feed them because they didn't incubate the eggs. At least, that has been our experience in the past.

Thanks for the comments about food but we have been though it all. Last season we were giving them tons of mini meal worms and they ate them and still tossed. Then I read if you give them to much live food it may make the male over aggressive and cause him to toss chicks, so who knows. Beautiful birds, terrible parents. We will just rely on our Societies if we want BCCB fledglings in the future.
Gouldians, Red-faced Stars, Owl Finches, Blue-capped Cordon Bleus

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 pm

a_gouldian - Sorry to hear they tossed the babies again! Hopefully your societies will accept them even though they didn't incubate the eggs.
My pair of lavenders are sitting on three eggs right now and I am worried that they might turn out to be terrible parents as well. Everybody says they are not easy to breed. I have a pair of shaft tails who keep laying infertile eggs. They religiously sit on them for weeks, though. I've been thinking they might make good foster parents should it come to that (I don't have any societies).
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 am

a_gouldian

Sorry to hear that they tossed their chicks.

Did the Socies accept them (I relly hope so) ?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by a_gouldian » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:06 pm

lovezebs wrote: a_gouldian

Sorry to hear that they tossed their chicks.

Did the Socies accept them (I relly hope so) ?
The Societies did not feed them so the chicks perished. I am not surprised. Our Societies do not feed chicks unless the eggs hatch under them while they are incubating the eggs. For the next clutch hopefully the timing will work out and the eggs will be moved to the Societies before they hatch. We wanted to give the BCCB another chance this season with raising their own chicks. It didn't work out.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

a_gouldian

That is so sad.

Have you ever given hand feeding a try?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by a_gouldian » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

lovezebs wrote: a_gouldian

That is so sad.

Have you ever given hand feeding a try?
Yes, with an Owl Finch and it died when it was 30 days old. Don't know why. Won't try that again for a long time, if ever.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am

a_gouldian

That must have been heart wrenching, so sorry.
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:33 am

Sorry to hear about the tosslings. Most Societies will not feed if they haven't at least partly incubated the eggs. It is the rare outstanding foster that will accept an already-hatched baby and feed it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:24 pm

a_gouldian

I am so sorry to hear about the tossed chicks :( It has to be so frustrating when they go to all the trouble to sit and hatch and then for no apparent reason toss them. Sorry
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.