Melbas wasting seed

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Melbas wasting seed

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 pm

kcfd55, the lip made of rope sounds interesting. Can you post a photo?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:43 pm

Dave wrote: kcfd55, the lip made of rope sounds interesting. Can you post a photo?
I will try that tomorrow. I used a hot glue gun, if that helps.

Mike

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:11 pm

0131_1 (1).jpg
Dave:
the lip made of rope sounds interesting. Can you post a photo?
I'm trying...

The first picture is the "before." This one of two feeders hanging in the aviary.

The second is with the rope lip. I used a hot glue gun to fix it to the bottom with three layers. It has worked to limit the seed being sent everywhere, and the birds seem to find it easier to land on than the plastic. The rope is a little bigger than 1/4".

Mile
Attachments
0131_2 (1).jpg

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:38 pm

kcfd55 - Hi Mike, I like your idea of using rope. Will it be hard to clean if it gets dirty over time?
I looked at both pictures you posted - are those two different seed mixes? The seed mix in the first picture seems to have a lot of red millet in it. I bought a similar mix in the past and noticed that my birds hardly ate any of that red millet. They seem to like the white and golden millets much more. Have you noticed the same with your birds?
Iso

PS: Do you have any pix of your birds yet?

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Iso:
I like your idea of using rope. Will it be hard to clean if it gets dirty over time?
If it does, it would be easy to replace. Just re-heat the glue and remove it. It only took a few minutes to make. And the birds seem to be able to grip it better when they land as opposed to the hard plastic.
are those two different seed mixes?
Yes. The mix w/o the red millet is a "Gouldian/Canary" mix. The one with the red millet is a "Premium finch mix," (Whatever that means. It also has dried mealworms in it.) I have so many different species in the aviary, I thought I'd put as many different foods in there as possible. I haven't noticed anyone having a preference so far. I did see four Gouldians and an owl finch on the red millet feeder at the same time yesterday.

I purchased some white and golden millets as separate seeds from Ladygouldianfinch.com, and will see about giving the seeds as separate offerings once I install another three-bowl feeding station this weekend.
Do you have any pix of your birds yet?
Well, I did, but they didn't come out very well. It was too dark to see the birds well. I will try again this weekend.

Here is a picture of owl finch eggs, in the meantime :D .

Mike
Attachments
0131_2.jpg

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pm

kcfd55 wrote:
0131_1 (1).jpg
Dave:
the lip made of rope sounds interesting. Can you post a photo?
I'm trying...

The first picture is the "before." This one of two feeders hanging in the aviary.

The second is with the rope lip. I used a hot glue gun to fix it to the bottom with three layers. It has worked to limit the seed being sent everywhere, and the birds seem to find it easier to land on than the plastic. The rope is a little bigger than 1/4".

Mile
My canaries scatter seed also, I like your rope idea!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pm

kcfd55 wrote: Iso:
I like your idea of using rope. Will it be hard to clean if it gets dirty over time?
If it does, it would be easy to replace. Just re-heat the glue and remove it. It only took a few minutes to make. And the birds seem to be able to grip it better when they land as opposed to the hard plastic.
are those two different seed mixes?
Yes. The mix w/o the red millet is a "Gouldian/Canary" mix. The one with the red millet is a "Premium finch mix," (Whatever that means. It also has dried mealworms in it.) I have so many different species in the aviary, I thought I'd put as many different foods in there as possible. I haven't noticed anyone having a preference so far. I did see four Gouldians and an owl finch on the red millet feeder at the same time yesterday.

I purchased some white and golden millets as separate seeds from Ladygouldianfinch.com, and will see about giving the seeds as separate offerings once I install another three-bowl feeding station this weekend.
Do you have any pix of your birds yet?
Well, I did, but they didn't come out very well. It was too dark to see the birds well. I will try again this weekend.

Here is a picture of owl finch eggs, in the meantime :D .

Mike
Congrats on the eggs! I hope they hatch!!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 pm

I like your rope idea
Good. The copyright fee isn't so much :D .

Mike