Tricolored Munias

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Tricolored Munias

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

I couldn't find much information about these, except for a couple of sources describing them as passive. How do they behave, and are there any special considerations when it comes to keeping them?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Tricolored Munias

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:16 pm

Icearstorm

What I could find in one of my books is:

Three Colored Mannikins

Size:
Approximately 5 inches

Distinguishing between the sexes:
It is virtually impossible to tell the difference between th sexes. Only the males of this species sing, but their song is very quiet. Look out for vibrations of the throat feathers.

Social characteristics:
These birds seldom or never cause problems. They are peaceful both towards other inhabitants of the aviary and their own species. It is advisable to keep them in a group, so that they can choose their own partners.

Suitable housing:
These birds should be housed either in an indoor or outdoor aviary. Breeding cages should only be used as temporary housing, as these birds are not stimulated to move in small environments and therefore become over weight. Greenery to provide shelter is greatly appreciated.

Hope this is helpful :D .

Beautiful little birds. Are you planning on getting some?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 pm

lovezebs

I don't exactly have room at the moment, but if I come across some, I could work something out. They seem like great birds; now I'm kicking myself for not getting some earlier. If I remember correctly, they had several for sale at a bird fair in the Central Florida Fairgrounds last year... And for some reason, I went with gouldians, instead.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 am

Icearstorm

They are beautiful looking birds, and sound like sweet natured as well. I wish they were available around here.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~