Juvenile Male Society Finch

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
GBD
Pip
Pip

Juvenile Male Society Finch

Post by GBD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I have a male juvenile society finch, maybe about 3 months old. I have 7 other societies all living together a few males but mostly females. He sings continuously almost all day. Does this mean he is seeking a mate? He seems too young, so I was wondering why he was doing this or is it just a young male thing that he’ll grow out of? All other societies except for a baby female were bought as adults. Thanks :)
~Gwen
[/font]2 Java Sparrows
8 Society Finches
13 Lady Gouldians
[/color]

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Juvenile Male Society Finch

Post by Fraza » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi yeh it’s probably happy but at 3 months old they becoke old enough to breed so that’s why he’s singing because he’* sexual maturity if the females are young then don’t have them with him if there’s nests or take nests out
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:38 pm

GBD

Does his song sound complete, or is it a bit off-tune? My young society finches sang almost nonstop for several weeks until they figured out how to sing properly. They don't sing nearly as much now that they're older, perhaps because they don't need as much practice.

Society finches act mature at a very young age; one of mine even started feeding his younger siblings before he was weaned! The several juveniles I had started singing at around two months old, and moulted at around three months. They should be fully mature at nine months to a year old.

GBD
Pip
Pip

Post by GBD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:18 pm

His song sounds like my older male societies and I have removed both nests. I guess he will learn to sing properly or grow out of it. I can’t believe that they mature so quickly. Thanks everyone!
~Gwen
[/font]2 Java Sparrows
8 Society Finches
13 Lady Gouldians
[/color]