What kind of gouldian is this?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

What kind of gouldian is this?

Post by hfinney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Ok, expert friends. What kind of gouldian is this and where can I get one (or two or three)?
Attachments
IMG_2711.jpeg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: What kind of gouldian is this?

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 pm

hfinney

I'm not the best at this, but I'll give it a try.

It looks like a male red- or orange-headed, blue-backed, white-breasted gouldian. At first I thought it was seagreen-backed, but the seagreen birds had red heads, rather than salmon-colored heads in the images I saw. (On a semi-related note, I'm not sure exactly what seagreen-backed gouldians are. Maybe mosaics? Though I don't know how that works.)

Red-head is dominant, so it would only need one allele for a red head. Orange-head requires the bird to be genetically red-headed with two recessive alleles on another gene that also affects head color. However, red-head and orange-head look the same in bluebacks, so that bird is most likely red-headed, as dominant traits are easier to obtain.

White-breast is recessive to lilac-breast, which is recessive to purple-breast, so it would have to have two alleles for breast color.

Blue body requires the bird to be genetically green-backed with two recessive blue alleles on a separate gene that also affects body color. It's a bit like orange-head in that it is dependent on two genes. This bird has two green alleles on its body color gene on its two Z sex chromosomes; if it had a yellow allele as well as a green allele, it would be pastel, and the blue color would be faded. This would not occur with a female bird, as they only have one Z sex chromosome, and therefore could only have one allele for base color (green or yellow). This is why only males can be dilute, having both a yellow and green allele.
(Well, today I learned body color inheritance; at first I thought blue was recessive to yellow which was recessive to green on the same autosomal gene, but I guess not.)

All in all, this bird would be difficult to get through breeding, and the combination of traits is probably rare.

Here are some useful articles on mutations:
Gouldian Genetics
Body Colors
Last edited by Icearstorm on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 pm

RHorYH/WB/BB

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 pm

In my experience the BH/PB/BB males are the prettiest, but also the poorest fertility wise.. The BH/WB/BB are the most fertile/long lived of the hens. Infant mortality is high with the Blues and Silvers(blues with a YB gene).

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Thank y’all for the information!!