Gouldian pair with 10 fertile eggs.

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Gouldian pair with 10 fertile eggs.

Post by 608duj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm

This proven pair had 5 fertile eggs. When I next checked them there were 10 eggs, the 5 obviously fertile and the other five looking clear. Upon next check 5 had hatched. The other five candled fertile, just barely. I pulled the newly developed eggs and put them in the Lyon incubator. I am thinking that she had laid five fertile and started incubation and then over some days later laid the 5 more and managed to keep all of them in survival mode. I hope to find substitute parents for the orphan eggs if they are still viable in a few days. I have never fostered Gouldians on a Parrotfinch pair before, but this should be possible. I have a young first time PF pair that is incubating religiously but so far appear clear. I have found that Zebras do not feed Gouldian chicks long enough after fledging. They fledge and then starve. Any suggestions ?

My lone Society pair is raising an Owl chick.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Gouldian pair with 10 fertile eggs.

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Sorry I have no idea about fostering eggs/chicks to other birds but I just wanted to say congrats on the eggs!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:31 pm

I'll bet the Parrot finches would foster OK. Similar species, mouth markings similar.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm

The 5 orphan eggs were still good 2 days ago. I was concerned the PF pair might give up on their clear eggs so I gave them 3. The other 2 I put under a young Gouldian pair that was also far along in cycle but I wanted to split the odds (all your eggs under one pair). The PFs are sitting tight . The Gouldian newbies abandoned the eggs.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 pm

608duj - I just found your post. I would have suggested the same thing: take the eggs out of the incubator and give them to the parrot finches. Were you able to put the two eggs the young gouldians abandoned into the nest of the parrot finches? Or had they been cold for too long?
Iso

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

608duj

Next time add a few fakes to the nest. Even if it is only 3 instead of 5. If gouldians see too many eggs disappear, they think a predator is lurking sometimes and will take refuge away from the nest.

They can count ;)

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

The 3 eggs under the Gouldian pair got cold. The two under the First timer PFs both hatched. One did not clear the halfshell, was DOA. The other soon showed food in one side of the crop. The hen PF was brooding the chick but when she left the male would peek into the box, pop in and then pop out again. He had been incubating normally,not leaving until she returned inside. By the end of the day when I checked the chick, it was cool. So now to plan C: A proven Gouldian pair with eggs due to hatch soon. I had hesitated to put them under the Blue hen first as I would not be able to identify the chicks as being split/blue if I did not know who was who, her male is YB. As it turned out the fostered chick is YB and the three from the Blue hen/YB male are blue/silver. All are good so far. quite the rodeo.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 pm

608duj

Well, the mutations will enable you to tell you came from whom. Thats a good thing. Keep us updated.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

608duj

Sounds like you're having a bumoer crop, lol.

Congratulations.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:58 pm

YB chick fostered 2X fledged successfully.

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:00 pm

YB chick fostered 2X fledged successfully.