Separating or keeping them together

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Separating or keeping them together

Post by Uolym » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi everyone! Sorry in advance for the long post. Bear with me, English is not my first language and I do not want to forget an info. :?

I have been the happy owner of three pairs of finches (1.1 Gouldian, 1.1 Star, 1.1 Society) for almost a year, all living together in a flight cage, and a single elderly Canary who has its own flight cage and has been with me for years. Since all the birds are doing great and the three pairs are exhibiting mating displays, I was planing on trying my luck with breeding them, having three breeding cages already, just needing to buy at least one extra flight cage for the offspring I could not give away to family and friends.

However, a man volunteering at my work (I am a social worker in a NPO) asked to talk with me about a personal matter. He is going through a difficult break up and his partner and him decided to give away some of their impressive menagery. His goal is to find a good home for all the pets they can't keep. Since we bonded over our love of animals, especially birds, he asked me if I would accept to take in his seven finches. All the birds are young adults and they seem healthy. He asked me for a ridiculously small sum of money (100 CAD) for the birds, a year of supplies and a flight cage (about 30"L, 20"W, 45-50"H). He doesn't want more, he just want to give them a good home. I thought about it and finally accepted.

I was first under the impression he owned only one species, but turns out he is giving me 1.1 Zebra Finch, 1.1 Owl Finch, 1.1 Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu and a male Green Singing Finch, who have all living together in the flight cage he is selling me. I never kept any of these species, but I did research on them before I bought my own finches a year ago... Aren't all those species mixed together in such a small space a recipe for disaster? Even if he is telling me they do not fight and none of the birds seem hurt or having plucked feathers, I am concerned that is far from a perfect mix. What do you think?

Should I (1) keep them all together when I get them, since it seems to work, and monitor the situation, separating them if they do not get along anymore, or (2) already separate them when I get them to combine two potential stressful events in one? He offered me to buy a second flight cage he is giving away for cheap and I have the space. If so, what mix would be better? I still have two, maybe three more weeks to plan their arrival.

Sorry for the length of my post and thanks in advance for your help!
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Separating or keeping them together

Post by isobea » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:35 am

Personally, if they are getting along fine and lived peacefully in the same cage for a while, I would not change anything. Should problems arise later, you can still deal with it then.
You will love the cordon bleus and the owls. And it sounds like the zebras might not be cantankerous. The green singer could be quite loud. Good luck!
Iso

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Uolym » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you for the advice, I think I will follow it. I will buy the extra flight cage just in case too. I could keep the boisterous birds in one (Zebra and Green Singer would be my guess) and the quiet (Owl and Cordon-bleu) in the other.

I am sure I will love Owl Finch since I was planing on getting the species eventually. Not a fan of Zebra though... As for the Green Singer, I am already used to my musical yet loud canary. It might be a match to it. :wink:
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Uolym - cordon bleus are active birds. I hope the cage is large (meaning wide) enough for them. Is it a pair of red cheeked or blue capped cordon bleu?
Iso

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Uolym » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi Iso,

It’s a pair of Red-cheeked. I do not have the exact dimensions of the flight cage I’m getting with them yet, but the guy told me somewhere around 20-22 inches wide, 30-ish long and for a height of 45-59".

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Uolym - Hi, I wonder if you could somehow use that cage lying on its side? That would give your birds more room to fly. Height, for finches, is not as important as width. Check if that would be an option when you get it.
Iso

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Uolym » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 am

Iso, thank you for all the informations! :)

I will have to ask, but according to the photos I saw, I do not think it is possible.