How does an incubating pair decide when to abandon eggs ?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

How does an incubating pair decide when to abandon eggs ?

Post by 608duj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Is it hardwired by time ( I am tired of doing this --outtahere ) or can they feel the embryonic pulse/movement in the eggs as they are incubating and decide to stick with it ?

It would matter if you are attempting to foster eggs that were off in timing. I have 6 young Owl pairs that have started to lay haphazardly, not really nesting just dropping an egg every once in a while. I have been collecting them and putting them in the Lyon incubator. At first all were infertile. Then there were 2 fertile,
one hatched and just fledged under a Society pair that will raise anything. Now there are 4 fertile, put 2 under a Zebra pair and the other 2 still in incubator. I hesitate to give the Zebs all four as they had been on clear eggs for a while and if they are hardwired to abandon at a certain time (which I do not know ) I would lose them all instead of just the two. Four more Owl eggs collected and set in the Lyon today.
Attachments
owlchick.JPG

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: How does an incubating pair decide when to abandon eggs

Post by Fraza » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:07 pm

608duj sounds like ur finding parents for them how come you can give the society pair some more to be certain because I don’t think zebras are very trusting :D

And it’s a nice little fledgling if you keep it with the society whilst they bring up anothe chick aswell then this fledgling might learn how to raise
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3