Gouldian mutations

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
aphily8ed
Pip
Pip

Gouldian mutations

Post by aphily8ed » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 pm

I am familiar with the purple breasted Gouldian. From what I understand, there is also a lighter shade (perhaps called lavender?) that exists. My question is how do you tell a male (lavender) from a female purple breast? Or are the differences more pronounced than I'm imagining? And then there's the whole dilute thing.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Gouldian mutations

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 pm

aphily8ed

Males should have pale beaks with a red or yellow tip, while females usually have somewhat grey beaks. Males have a richer shade of yellow and bright blue that extends down most of the neck, while females are overall duller.

Males and females all have different calls, though it's kind of hard to describe. Males make more of a high-pitched "shreeee" or "shreep!" noise and a soft nesting call, while females have a lower-pitched call and hiss that tends to sound slightly louder.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 pm

aphily8ed

The lavender breast male: will of course sing, will have less black around the face. In a greenback there is a much pronoused blue behind the head then the female.

A female has color about 50% in the beak, a male had a slight lipstick kiss.

The Blueback back are harder as they have no lipsick in the beak. A male lavender BB looks identical to a female purplebreast.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sun May 27, 2018 1:42 pm

This baby is still very young. Just wondering if anyone else has come up with a pure white, colorless Gould like this. It might develop a little color later on but it looks like it's an albino at the moment.
IMG_8232.jpg
The only other pure white finches in my aviary are some Florida Fancy Zebras but I didn't think Goulds can cross with Zebs. The hen is a blue back.
IMG_8238.jpg
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun May 27, 2018 11:21 pm

It looks like it might be a silver, but either way, it is a very pretty bird.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Mon May 28, 2018 12:13 am

Could be. Today I noticed the yellow back male feeding this baby and two more that do have some rather pale coloring.

With a few exceptions, the silvers I researched on-line mostly have a
gray-ish or silver looking head. We'll see how this one feathers out in a few months. Do silvers have any value?
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon May 28, 2018 10:53 pm

I believe they are very expensive and hard to find at bird marts. Quite rare.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Here's the pair doing a great job feeding their babies by the window. Looks like they might have produced 2 silvers and another YB.
IMG_8241.jpg

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 pm

I have a lavender breasted male. They are brighter colored in all the same ways as normal purple breasted males, except the chest is lighter. Belly is still very bright yellow, blue ring around head is still very much there. It would be hard to confuse him with a hen. Attached are a couple pics of him. He is just starting to molt, so head is not as red as normal.
Attachments
20180608_111343.jpg
20180608_111419.jpg
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko