Best way to keep Parrotfinches?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
1of42
Hatchling
Hatchling

Best way to keep Parrotfinches?

Post by 1of42 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Greetings all!

I have always yearned to keep a pair of Parrotfinches (I'm enamored of basically all types of them, Red-headed and Tricolor especially). But was wondering, what is the best way to keep them (if I don't really want them to propogate)? Would male/female be best or is it viable to keep two males together?

I've kept Gouldians in the past, quite a few, but only one pair at a time. I don't have any other finches now but am looking to get back into finches. I miss their presence. :)

Thanks!
Katie
My flock:
  • Snow, white ringneck dove
  • Oliver & Laurel, green parrotlets

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Best way to keep Parrotfinches?

Post by CathyCraftz » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:01 am

If you buy a male-female pair, don't give them any nests but the female might lay her eggs in the food dish. Female-female pairs will lay eggs but they will be infertile. Any same sex pairs will fight over nests.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:09 pm

These are quite 'nervous' birds, so they need a bigger flight to feel secure. Most of them are strong fighters, not all though. Have a look at the species charts.
And they are expensive, too.

But so beautiful!!!!

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 am

Parrotfinches are very active birds in an aviary. If you keep them in a cage they get obese very quickly, because they have a very healthy appetite. I feed mine the normal seeds, white millet, jap millet, canary etc. I also feed them guava, apple and pear. Also sprouted seeds. I would keep them in pairs as they are quite social birds.
Marius