Canary male song

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Canary male song

Post by goldfinchowl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm not familiar with the song of the male canary.
YouTube of course depends on how loud one turns up the volume.

Timbrado canary song: volume (for an apartment complex)
Compared to other types of canary ?
Compared to volume of gouldian?
Society finch volume?

If there were to be any complaints about Male Canary singing (too loud, too early)
Besides covering him, would there be a way to reduce or stop his singing?
My apartment complex goes through lots of people about ever 6 months. Get a large variety of people with different preferences. It also has been going through lots of different managemet.

If he is with other birds less likely to sing?
Any other ways? If I play a YouTube more, or less, likely to sing?
Do they normally sing even in winter?

swethakyadav
Pip
Pip

Re: Canary male song

Post by swethakyadav » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:46 am

To be fair if you don't want the Canary to sing then you should look at female than a male. I have an American singer male and have never had any complaints from any neighbors in the apartment though I was kind of scared initially about the sound as the volume was way higher than what YouTube videos indicate. But then I am sure everyone will fall in love with a canary song. As far as early singing goes, I use a night cover on the cage and my Canary does not sing when it's on as it gets pretty dark inside.
Swethak
Canary, Strawberries, RCCB, Greenbacked Twinspots

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Pretty birds! I have also read if you want a quieter bird, female is the way to go. Lots of experienced canary owners/breeders on the forum- smart move to ask for advice from the experts. Let us know how it goes.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Can you borrow a male Canary for a few days? Make sure it is singing, and check out if the sound travels to other apartments. My guess is that it will not be a problem.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 pm

swethakyadav - makes me a little concerned that it was louder then YouTube
FinchLady - makes me lean towards female
Dave - Unfortunately don't know anyone with a canary, would have been nice way to hear what a male canary sounds like in real life.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:03 am

I have a male canary, excellent singer, and it is LOUD. It carries from room to room. It does carry through walls. It's not just the volume, it's the tone of the notes as well. Canary song is designed to travel distances, to warn other males off his territory and attract females.

I have a 1,700 square foot house, long and L shaped, and he's in one end and you can hear him in the bedrooms at the other end. You can hear him outside the house when the doors are closed. If you get a good singer, your neighbors WILL hear him.

When he's in singing season (they stop when they molt), he can sing from sun up to sundown. It would not be fair to the bird to keep him covered long hours to prevent him from singing. Think of it as you having to sit in a closed, curtained, dark room with no lights on, during all the hours you would not want him to sing.

Go for a female, or go for a different species altogether, and just delay your dreams of a canary until you have a better living situation for a loud bird. Yes, they are beautiful, so many colors to choose from, but you will have problems if your neighbors don't appreciate canary singing coming through their walls.

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Do female Canaries have a soft semi-song? Seems I read some have a short, softer version. (probably read that somewhere on the Forum) Are females vocal (chirp) throughout the day or generally quiet?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 pm

goldfinchowl

Canary males sing, Canary females chirp and vocalize but normally will not sing (although there are some rare exceptions).

A Timbrado male, has a very loud, almost metalic sounding song. An American Singer, has a very loud song as well. If you want a soft singing Canary, go for a Harz or German Roller. They sing with their beaks closed, and have a soft sweet song which will not bother anyone.

Example:

https://youtu.be/RBXQVaJ0Kbs
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:27 am

lovezebs - thank you for info and link