Albino Society finch

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Bella
Pip
Pip

Albino Society finch

Post by Bella » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Anyone else ever hatch an Albino society? I have one about a month old with red eyes.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Albino Society finch

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Bella

Albino does exist as its own separate mutation, but the chick's color may be due to a mutation combo. Could be a fawn ino or a red-eyed fawn line of dark-eyed whites/white pieds. What do the parents look like?

Bella
Pip
Pip

Post by Bella » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Both parents are Fawn and white. This chick is all white with red eyes, I have two more in the clutch that look like the parents.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Bella

Do any of the fawns have red eyes? It sounds like you may have bred a dark-eyed white (white pied), which is genetically a bird so pied that it has no color remaining; some believe that it is the combination of a dominant and recessive pied, and others think pied is multigenetic much like size, temperament, etc. Some white pieds that descend from fawn lines have red eyes for life, others have brown eyes, and others have red eyes that turn brown with age.

Bella
Pip
Pip

Post by Bella » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:51 pm

No the parents have brown eyes. I'll post a picture of him tomorrow.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Bella

All right. It would be interesting to see how he grows up.

Bella
Pip
Pip

Post by Bella » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 am

Here are some pictures of the chicks and adults.
Attachments
Albino?
Albino?
The adults, mom is the darker Fawn on the left, third chick standing on the nest,  all others are males.
The adults, mom is the darker Fawn on the left, third chick standing on the nest, all others are males.
Two chicks, same clutch
Two chicks, same clutch

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Bella

They look kind of like they've been plucked, or aren't developing as fast as they should be. Since none of the adults are super pied (no marked or saddleback pieds), it seems more unlikely that this baby is a white pied. Now I'm leaning more toward ino (sex-linked recessive) or true albino (recessive). If it's ino, then the father is split to it and the white chick is female. Two of your males look dilute (recessive or complex in some cases). Ino usually has traces of very faded color, but they may not show up on a fawn-based or dilute fawn-based bird.

Bella
Pip
Pip

Post by Bella » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

This is why I moved the mom and two bigger chicks to a different cage, the little one is way behind. I'm worried, I hope she makes it

Bella
Pip
Pip

Post by Bella » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:44 am

They won't eat mealworms or egg food, I've tried about 10 times. All they feed the chicks are seeds and suet. Never ever seen a finch not eat a meal worm

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Try lettuce
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 am

Bella

The wings look nicely feathered; usually a bald chick would also have ratty-looking wings full of pinfeathers. If he's active and growing, I wouldn't worry too much.

My societies don't eat mealworms (I tried) but love boiled egg. Is the eggfood dry or fresh? Some don't like the fresh stuff, and others are uninterested in dry. Dry eggfood tends to have low protein content (only like 14%, so I wonder if they would prefer powdered egg for human consumption, as it tends to be just pure egg.

Kale, broccoli, spinach, and cooked potato (both sweet and not sweet) are some of the best plant foods, and sprouted seed can also be good. Mine love broccoli florets, and even the picky gouldians I used to have ate them. Make sure they have plenty of calcium and D3 though, as spinach and some other leafy greens contain high amounts of oxalic acid, which can interfere with calcium absorption. Lettuce has so much water that the birds probably won't get a ton of nutrition out of it, but it could help transition them to more nutrient-dense foods. Spirulina is also good to sprinkle over softfood, and mine liked it when they were moulting (it's too expensive to be feeding year-round, and they probably won't benefit much when on a maintenance diet).