Diamond Doves...

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
artgecko
Mature
Mature

Diamond Doves...

Post by artgecko » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 pm

So, I went the the ATL bird show (forest park GA) today and got a couple more gouldians, but happened to see some diamond doves there also. I had been wanting some for a long time and had read that they were peaceful and would work with gouldians, so went ahead and bought a pair. The male is a normal and the female is a red mutation (I believe).They are currently in quarantine with the new gouldians, treated with scatt and have NV powder in their water... I plan to treat with ronivet after a couple days just in case.

That all said, I'd like to know your experiences with these guys. I couldn't find much on care other than to feed seed mix with some fresh veggies and fruits (wasn't sure on amounts there as different sources said different things) and to provide plenty of floor space. I am assuming that they like to eat at the bottom of the cage.

If you have any recommendations on specific seed mixes or supplements that wold be good for them, please let me know. Right now, they have the things I typically give my finches: cuttlebone, crushed egg shell, oyster shell grit, charcoal, dried alfalfa / herbs, seed mix (finch), millet spray, roudybush crumbles, and I am planning on adding fresh greens tomorrow (kale, basil, cilantro, carrots, etc.).

They will be going into an 18x18x60" cage with the gouldians.
I will try to get some decent pictures of them tomorrow..They were not wanting to sit still today.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Diamond Doves...

Post by Dave » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:27 pm

There are some Dove resources here:
http://www.americandoveassociation.com/html/links.html

I fed my Diamond Doves the same things that I fed finches, and they seemed to be OK.

HOWEVER: most important--Doves do not shell their seed, they eat it whole. They need grit to help grind seed in their crops. They won't thrive without it. By grit, I mean small sharp stones, like granite. Poultry chick grit works, or a grit specifically for pigeons.

Another source: https://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/ Pigeon mixes have seeds too large for Diamond Doves, but a lot of the care is the same for both.

Does anyone have good information on how care of Diamond Doves differs from regular Pigeons?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 pm

Thank you! I've got ground oyster shell in with them now, but will look for some chick or pigeon grit to buy. I may have to order some online so hopefully they will be ok without out it for a few days.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:19 pm

If the 60" is the height of the cage, then it is too small for doves. Even the Gouldians need more flight room to fly across, since none fly up and down.