What in the world are YOU???

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
LokoChoko
Pip
Pip

What in the world are YOU???

Post by LokoChoko » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 am

Hello lovely finch lovers, I have a challenge for you all. I have a little and I mean tiny bird that has yet to be identified by me and my vet, I think she's a Eurasian Siskin but I live in South America so you can understand my confusion.
Attachments
IMG_20190724_084416.jpg

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: What in the world are YOU???

Post by Fraza » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:49 pm

LokoChoko could it be a green finch I have totally no clue but I’m curious lol
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am

hi
european green finch !

LokoChoko
Pip
Pip

Post by LokoChoko » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Thank you, everyone, for helping me but I think I have finally found what she is.
A Hooded Siskin (Sporagra magellanica).
there widespread in Peru and also found in Ecuador.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 am

LokoChoko wrote: Thank you, everyone, for helping me but I think I have finally found what she is.
oh nice congrtaes, they 're so expensive here in my country .
is she an adult hen or a juvenile male ?!

LokoChoko
Pip
Pip

Post by LokoChoko » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:24 pm

haroun wrote:
LokoChoko wrote: Thank you, everyone, for helping me but I think I have finally found what she is.
oh nice congrtaes, they 're so expensive here in my country .
is she an adult hen or a juvenile male ?!
she's an adult hen and has the sweetest personality

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:52 pm

LokoChoko - what a lovely little bird! Yes, they are very expensive here in the US as well - and usually in very bad shape. The wholesalers seem to feed them regular finch mix which eventually makes them sick. They, like European goldfinches, Eurasian siskins and red hooded siskins nee a lot of oily seeds in their diet (niger (thistle), perilla, flax, some sesame seed, some sunflower chips etc. Not exclusively but mixed in with the regular finch mix. Too much sunflower can make them fat, though. Lots of semi-ripe green grasses and aphids, if available, as well.
I used to breed them in the 1990s and they are lovely birds!
Iso

PS: I saw your other post about her and a zebra finch in the same cage: the zebra needs the regular starchy finch mix so you might want to offer her mix in a separate dish. I would not want to crossbreed those two. Perhaps you can find a hooded siskin male for her...

LokoChoko
Pip
Pip

Post by LokoChoko » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 am

isobea wrote: LokoChoko - what a lovely little bird! Yes, they are very expensive here in the US as well - and usually in very bad shape. The wholesalers seem to feed them regular finch mix which eventually makes them sick. They, like European goldfinches, Eurasian siskins and red hooded siskins nee a lot of oily seeds in their diet (niger (thistle), perilla, flax, some sesame seed, some sunflower chips etc. Not exclusively but mixed in with the regular finch mix. Too much sunflower can make them fat, though. Lots of semi-ripe green grasses and aphids, if available, as well.
I used to breed them in the 1990s and they are lovely birds!
Iso

PS: I saw your other post about her and a zebra finch in the same cage: the zebra needs the regular starchy finch mix so you might want to offer her mix in a separate dish. I would not want to crossbreed those two. Perhaps you can find a hooded siskin male for her...
Thank you so much isobea for the information, she loves to fly free in the house so I can make her a separate mix no problem, I had no idea their diets were so different but I'll fix that immediately.

I've never seen her kind of bird in my area or in shops so I'd have to look into where to get a male but I'm in no hurry to breed her so I can take my time.