Are birds causing sickness in child

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Molly G
Pip
Pip

Are birds causing sickness in child

Post by Molly G » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am

Since I can't find a clear answer on the internet, I decided to turn to the experts. Is it common to get sick from zebra finches? My son has had a cough and low-grade fever for over a week. We're waiting on blood work results and going for a chest x-ray this morning. I asked the doctor about the possibility of the birds being carriers of something that could have made him sick, and she said it's not something they really see. I'm not completely ruling it out and am hoping to get a better idea from all of you. My son is an otherwise healthy, 12 yo. The birds are his so he is very much involved in their care on a daily basis. We are very careful about washing our hands after cleaning the cage or bowls, etc. He is the one who uses a hand vac to clean up around cage daily. One of the finches isn't well (puffed up, picking its own feathers) and is being treated with enromyacin (sp) for a possible bacterial infection. The avian vet prescribed this over the phone based on symptoms. We don't have an exact diagnosis at this time. Any thoughts on this would be great. The doctor looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about it. Thank you.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Are birds causing sickness in child

Post by paul-inAZ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:13 pm

There is a long list of 50++ bird transmitted diseases. Called avian zoonoses.

Before you look these up and go off half cocked there are a few things to keep in mind.
-while most of these are known to have happened they are distinctly uncommon with pet birds.
-people most at risk are elderly and/or immune suppressed [things like AIDS, chemotherapy etc]
-the majority are asymptomatic or cause only transient mild symptoms.
-the lists include disease that may be peculiar to a type of bird [songbird, hook bill parrot family, pigeons, chickens etc]. Where your zebra fits as a potential carrier is problematic.

As a guess I'd say the risk of him having a zoonosis disease is less than the risk of being hit by lightning in your living room. :-)
Your doc's reaction was probably correct.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:17 pm

Some people do develop allergies to birds, which could result in the cough, but that wouldn't explain a low-grade fever. One of my friends had to move her birds to an outside building because her husband was allergic. I've never heard of anyone getting sick from their birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Molly G

Hi Molly,

If the birds are in his room I would remove them to another room in the house, and take care of them for him for a while, t see if there's any difference in his condition and until you get results back for lab work.

Some people do ave allergies to feathers and bird dust (although finches don't tend to generate as much dust as hookbills).

Please keep us updated.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Molly G
Pip
Pip

Post by Molly G » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you. Turns out he had pneumonia secondary to strep. I appreciate the info though!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Molly G

Poor boy, I hope he's feeling better now.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~