Male finch died, he had eggs

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
LunesEMartes
Pip
Pip

Male finch died, he had eggs

Post by LunesEMartes » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:26 pm

My male finch Lunes and my female finch Nieve had their second clutch of eggs. I think 4 out of the 5 eggs hatched because only one egg is in there and I’ve seen a few babies. Lunes was staying at the bottom of the cage for a while before passing away, which I assume is from old age. I’m afraid Nieve won’t be able to raise the babies alone. I have another female finch from Lunes and Nieve’s first clutch who doesn’t have anyone to bond to. Should I put her in with her mom, Nieve, and see if she will help raise the babies? She is 4 months old, she was born in July.
Six zebras:
Nieve & Peony
Peach & Poppy
Nube & Lunes
Two societies:
Duck & Evergreen

vafa
Pip
Pip

Re: Male finch died, he had eggs

Post by vafa » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:08 am

hi. im sorry for your loss.
actually according to my experience, the male takes most of responsibility for raising the babies.
i doubt another female would help. it never happened throughout my experience. rather you will witness continuous fights between the two females which may make the new mom feel stressed to protect her own space and then neglect her babies due to this new stress.
so dont mix them in the same cage.
let their mom take care of them.
if the mom sits on them to warm them all day, in case you are worried you can feed the babies by baby bird food cerelac by a special syrenge.

i pray they survive.

LunesEMartes
Pip
Pip

Post by LunesEMartes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 am

She doesn’t sit on them too much, she spends most of her time outside of the nest but she does feed them. Thank you for your reply, I hope they survive too
Six zebras:
Nieve & Peony
Peach & Poppy
Nube & Lunes
Two societies:
Duck & Evergreen

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:07 pm

LunesEMartes the mum should raise them by herself it’s in their instinct in the past I’ve had zebras Male or female abandon them and the other parent takes over by their self once chicks start to eat there self I would try bonding the mum and daughter and then keep this as a pair once the new chicks have sold
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Make sure she has extra food around lots of veg, egg mix and plenty of seeds if she knows there’s enough food she should feel confident to raise them alone and won’t abandon
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm

LunesEMartes

Mom should be able to raise her babies on her own.

Make sure to offer a variety of food, including spray millet, hardboiled egg, goid quality seeds, along with a variety of fresh greens and veggies. Also make sure to offer fresh water on a daily basis .

As babies get older Mom will not spend as much time in the nest, but should continue to feed. Once babies fledge (leave the nest) mom will continue to feed until the babies learn to eat and drink on their own.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~