Fire or Strawberry Finch??

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:14 pm

L in Ontario wrote:...So tell me would a cage with 3/8" bar spacing be okay? Please say: Yes! I don't think I've ever heard of a cage with spacing smaller than that. I can appreciate that the "babies" would be able to slip through the bars of say 1/2" spacing but would a Fire Finch or Strawberry FLEDGLING be able to slip through? Perhaps in the centre of the cage where the divider is put in? I could cover that slot somehow.
I have GBs which I think are even a wee bit smaller than the strawberries, and they are in a 3/8 inch cage (it's 3/8" square hardware cloth, not bars). Mine had 4 babies and they were about 1 1/2 to 2 inches when they fledged! No problems with them getting out. So I don't think you'd have any problem. I did think about making the cage of 1/4" hardware cloth, but decided it would restrict viewing too much and would be harder to place perches on it, and the 3/8" has turned out to be just fine.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Good to hear that, Franny - thanks muchly! Do you have any pictures of your babies?
Liz

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 pm

L in Ontario wrote:Good to hear that, Franny - thanks muchly! Do you have any pictures of your babies?
Haven't had time to find the pic of all the babies with Mom & Dad
These are the ones of the first fledgling and parents. They've already gone to their new home (Fledged on Oct. 11 and left for their new home on Nov. 28. ) Will have to get around to posting other more recent pics soon. My pics aren't as good as others in the gallery though. :oops:

Dad with first fledgling:
Mom & Dad (aka Dick & Jane):

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 am

I have firefinches & gold breasts in the aviary and have never had any problems. I believe that gold breasts and strawberry's are from the same family of birds, wonder if that means that there is a chance they could cross breed if there were odd numbers in the aviary. on reading the info available at the links below, it turns out that gold breasts (orange breasts - same bird) and strawberry's (red avadavats) are related and will cross breed.

http://www.avianweb.com/redbilledfirefinches.html
http://www.singing-wings-aviary.com/str ... inches.htm
http://www.aussiefinchbreeder.com/orang ... axbill.htm
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:33 am

I don't have any GB's (although my daughter does) and I keep all my pairs separated in breeding cages. Here's the two new pairs as of last night. They look a little rough after travelling and my catching them and Scatting them, but they are in their quarantine cages now in my bathroom.

I left them this morning with tiny (boy oh boy are these birds SMALL) dishes of bath water along with their seed and water dishes and flat dishes of fresh herb salad mixed into hardboiled egg with crushed shell and minced mealworms. Yummm
Liz

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:21 am

Congrats, Liz! You won't be sorry you got both pairs. They often look a little scraggly after traveling, they'll smooth out with time and baths, although my Strawberries are not big bathers, but the Fires are.

Looks like your little Berry male is either just coming into breeding plumage, or just about out. It takes quite a long time for them to color up, if he is coming into breeding plumage.

I'm just so excited to see others get some Strawberries, I think you will come to love them as much as I do. Now you are branching out to waxbills, Cordon Bleus are next!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Pretty birds Liz. Congrats!

I am so glad you got both. :lol: :lol:
Donna

bonnies_gouldians
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by bonnies_gouldians » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:58 pm

congrats on the two pairs! they look healthy and alert in the photos. Hope all goes well with them!
4 gouldians (Devin and Agnes, Jezebel and Rocky), 4 society finches, 2 Zebras, 2 Cordon Bleus

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 pm

They are gorgeous! I especially love the firefinches. But when first looking for finches I read about the beautiful song of the strawberries, so I think I'd be doing the same thing, if I had room. Getting both! :D Boy they are going to be spoiled with all that good food! Lucky little guys to find a home with you, I think!

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm

I checked them all carefully tonight and think the Strawberry guy might have scaly foot. What do I use for that? I did apply a drop of Scatt to each bird last night. :)
Liz

GOULDYGIRL
Weaning
Weaning

Post by GOULDYGIRL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:49 pm

They are beautiful Liz, Congrat's. The male fire finch that I want seems to have more red on him but looks pretty much the same. The pictures don't show how tiny they really are. I don't know how I'm going to pull this off but I have to get that little guy and hopefully a friend to go with him one day :twisted:

Renee

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Glad you got both,they look good hope they have lots of baby's :lol:

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks Renee and Bill!

Can't wait to see pics of your Fire Finch male, Renee. There are several different types of Fire Finch and I'm not positive yet which one I have. Perhaps the Red-billed or Senegal Fire Finch...?
Liz

GOULDYGIRL
Weaning
Weaning

Post by GOULDYGIRL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:18 pm

I beleive they are the same and they have that yellow eye ring. The want $75 for the male plus I'd need to get a cage so will see. I need to get a new camera as well. I love taking pictures and can't even show you all my beautiful goulds. Soon I hope.

Renee

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:24 pm

GOULDYGIRL wrote:I love taking pictures and can't even show you all my beautiful goulds. Soon I hope.
Renee
As do we all - we live for pics!
Liz