european goldfinch

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
nirep
Nestling
Nestling

european goldfinch

Post by nirep » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Does anyone have goldfinches that sleep clinging high to the side of the cage?When i bought my new pair it was the male that displayed this behaviour now the hen is copying and doing the same.I have a flight cage with perches across the middle.Are they happy to sleep like this?
Last edited by nirep on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Re: european goldfinch

Post by Pukasand » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I have 5 European Goldfinches. They play and hang from the top and side of the cage, but sleep on the perches. They usually pick the highest ones, though. I have a huge swing I made from a 1" x 24" branch. They love it and are on it almost constantly. :roll: :)
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

gostokom
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by gostokom » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 am

nirep wrote:Does anyone have goldfinches that sleep clinging high to the side of the cage?When i bought my new pair it was the male that displayed this behaviour now the hen is copying and doing the same.I have a flight cage with perches across the middle.Are they happy to sleep like this?
Goldfinch sleep perched on one leg, If he sleeps in the bottom of the cage is the alarm, if they sleep clinging high to the side of the cage then they feel uncomfortable, maybe the cage are not to hight or you touched them with your hands at many time.

the one who sleep on the highest perche are the dominant and can be the hen.

nirep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by nirep » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:18 pm

gostokom wrote:
nirep wrote:Does anyone have goldfinches that sleep clinging high to the side of the cage?When i bought my new pair it was the male that displayed this behaviour now the hen is copying and doing the same.I have a flight cage with perches across the middle.Are they happy to sleep like this?
Goldfinch sleep perched on one leg, If he sleeps in the bottom of the cage is the alarm, if they sleep clinging high to the side of the cage then they feel uncomfortable, maybe the cage are not to hight or you touched them with your hands at many time.

the one who sleep on the highest perche are the dominant and can be the hen.
Thanks for your comments it has been three months since i got them only handled them once,the cage is 40 cm tall they and positioned high above eye level and still the male clinging to sleep weird.The female has come back down to sleep.However they seem very happy I love them so much and take great care over them.The female has taken turn to become the more dominat at the moment.I can tell this by her taking control over exciting fresh food variety i give them or the bickering she does towards him.It could be i was sold a wild pair and it may take some time they are a lot more tame now then when i first got them.
3 european goldfinches,strawberry finch

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:14 pm

I have only 1 European Goldfinch but he's certainly the fastest flying finch in my aviary. He is VERY active and flies around a lot.

If you have any option to get a bigger cage for your finches, I'm sure they would be more comfortable. I know this is not an option for everybody for various reasons, but if it is, maybe you can consider it.

Maybe some fake plants - if you can get some - would provide more privacy as well?
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:25 pm

I agree regarding the cage size. This is probably the most important thing you can do to help them feel secure, is to give them enough room. The height is not the main consideration. The length and width is more important, for active finches.

Check out the Cage Size calculator:

http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/cage_s ... ulator.php

A cage meant for 2 finches should be a minimum of 18 " wide by 24" long, or 30" long if you can. And of course, bigger is better. :D
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

nirep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by nirep » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

I just went out to measure my cage and it is 60 cm long 40 cm wide and 40 cm high.I have kept goldfinches most of my life and when i lived in europe i was led to believe the smaller the cage the better ie better singing from the bird.I think it's old fashion and cruel.I applaud Australia for not even selling anything close to a small cage as I tried very hard to find one and im glad i learned better from places like the finch forum.

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Mine always stay at the highest perches and resting places.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

gostokom
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by gostokom » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:50 am

I am confident that you have brand new cage, but maybe you have mites hiden in the perch and they become active during the night and scare him, or your perches right now are on the same level and he want to be on the top as a dominat.

The hen become dominat now it's normal, she is more fareplay and want to try new things first, like taking her bath first or when you offer them fresh food...the cock is not doing his job, he is not singing.

two solutions, you have to separte them, if they are not sleeping togather, it mean, that they are not a couple yet. for that, your cock have to start to sing and if you choose to keep them togather he will never do it, if you want to breed them as well.

Or let the cock first in the cage alone and when he get used to it, introduce the hen.

Or let them fly in the room inside the house and let them go back by them self to the cage when they get hungry, two or three times, they will learn and understand that they are more secure if they stay in the cage.

Good Luck

here some of my goldfinches

My couple E.F Britanica from Australia

My couple E.F Parva 11cm
cock Parva from Algeria

hen Parva From Algeria 11cm

My cock E.F africanus from Morocco 12,5cm

My cock Carduelis carduelis volgensis??? not sure

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 pm

nirep wrote:I just went out to measure my cage and it is 60 cm long 40 cm wide and 40 cm high.I have kept goldfinches most of my life and when i lived in europe i was led to believe the smaller the cage the better ie better singing from the bird.I think it's old fashion and cruel.I applaud Australia for not even selling anything close to a small cage as I tried very hard to find one and im glad i learned better from places like the finch forum.
I have to agree. I remember my grandmother back in the 50's keeping a canary in a round cage no bigger than about 10 or 12 inches across! It was common back then and no one knew any better... poor thing did sing a lot. But it sure wasn't 'cause he was happy! :evil:

The Finch Information Centre sure helped me to provide a lot better environment for my pair than they would have had otherwise. :D
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

nirep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by nirep » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions and i will try and change things like raise one perch higher.Your spot on my cock bird doesn't sing lately, i put it down to they are molting heavily right now but sounds much more complicated.Great pictures as well and thanks very much i feel like i know my birds even better now.

solo_birdlover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by solo_birdlover » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:41 am

Nothing to worry about that bird sleeping like that. I have a finch that used to sleep hanging from the side of a plastic plant in a big cage. Birds develope certain habbits someitmes especially when it comes to their sleep. But I agree with the people here who said your cage is a bit small for any kind of finches. Unfortunately, many people in Europe and N. Africa keep this finch in extremely small cages, which is really criminal IMO. Youtube is full of clips of these poor birds being kept in cages as small as 10 inches :x . I know your cage isn't that small but if you can afford a bigger one I think you should get one. Your finches will be happier.

thegoldfincher
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by thegoldfincher » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 am

solo_birdlover wrote:Nothing to worry about that bird sleeping like that. I have a finch that used to sleep hanging from the side of a plastic plant in a big cage. Birds develope certain habbits someitmes especially when it comes to their sleep. But I agree with the people here who said your cage is a bit small for any kind of finches. Unfortunately, many people in Europe and N. Africa keep this finch in extremely small cages, which is really criminal IMO. Youtube is full of clips of these poor birds being kept in cages as small as 10 inches :x . I know your cage isn't that small but if you can afford a bigger one I think you should get one. Your finches will be happier.
I agree whole post, sometimes happens that goldfinch hang up and sleep in angles because donesn't feel so confortable/safe, at what height is the cage? try to raise from floor!
About small cages, something is changing in Europe, and actually ever more often people keep goldfinches in bigger cages.

Nick
To Breed = to protect
MY BLOG: http://thegoldfincher.blogspot.com/

nirep
Nestling
Nestling

Post by nirep » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi everyone it's all good news here I have made two simple changes I raised one perch higher than the other one and above the elevated perch I woven fake green flowery branches.My goldfinches are sleeping back down on their perch next to each other feeling secure under the bushy greens I provided them.I recommend this for anyone that might have a similar situation.Be patient as it took just over a week for it to work.As for a bigger cage I would love to, maybe one day.