The White Cheek mutation in Zebra finch-

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Re: The White Cheek mutation in Zebra finch-

Post by jamezyboo21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:42 am

Those were all pretty mutations. I am trying to get a black face, black cheek, black breast and then i want to breed it with a florida fancy to try and get the phaeo mutation.
Society Finches, Fire Finches, Strawberry Finches, Owl Finches, Plum Head Finch, Goldbreast Waxbill Finches, Orange Cheek Waxbill Finches, Blue Capped Cordon Finches, Zebra Finches, Bronzewing Mannikin Finches, Red-Cheek Cordon Blue Finches, and Button Quail

Nagdabit
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Nagdabit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:37 am

We kind of accidentally stumbled into some phaeos, 2 males and a hen. The were advertised as Florida Fancies and weren't fully colored when we got them, so imagine our surprise when all this color started to appear. Unfortunately going through some health issues with the hen right now.
30+ Zebra Finches (The actual number constantly changes) 2 Rabbits (1 Mini Rex, 1 Dutch), 1 Grouchy Old Fart, and 1 Dang Redhead

gjhuisman
Pip
Pip

Post by gjhuisman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Chris103 wrote:Here she/it is lol! It wouldn't be a WC due to the Tear Marks so I have no idea what she is. Is this just a hen with strong "ghost" cheeks......let me know what you guys think. I call "it" a she because she behaves just like a female. Also, there are NO signs of breast bars or colored flanks.

She is a bit rough in feather....I just got her and there must have been one very dominant bird in that cage because all but one were beat up! She is in quarantine at the moment but I plan on breeding her (if fertile) to see what comes out of it. Again, I'd love to hear some comments!
I would like to get in touch with you. I would like to use this images and maybe more in my book of estrildid finches and their mutations.

please mail me at gjhuisman@live.com

Jeff McKee
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Jeff McKee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 am

Are you 100% sure it's female? I agree with the questions surrounding the lack of breast bars, however, there are male birds out there without bars on their flanks. I have one, but it's a Florida Fancy style of bird.

I didn't manage to draw your bird on:
http://zebrafinch.info/colours/?language=en

(notice this is the colours tab)

Lightback/CFW gives males with the colourings your bird has. Lighter cheek patches on a grey bird. Now the birds I've had of this style, do have flanks.

The picture makes the beak look dark like a male, however, pictures sometimes lie!

I hope you're correct, as it will be a lot more fun for you that way! The next step, would be to find out if the mutation was genetically transferable. Good luck!

pch
Pip
Pip

Post by pch » Tue May 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Is there someone who can tell me how it is going with the white cheek zebrafich in Israël or somewhere else.
This colour exist now more than twenty years and who is
interested in this colour?nobody?

Rick
Pip
Pip

Post by Rick » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Hello guys,

I haven't seen this mutation until one born between the litter (see attached picture)
After a research through some experient breeders they told me this mutation is not so attractive,
Commonly discarded from breeders.

The bird in the picture came from a CFW Male with a Normal Grey Female.
Attachments
This is the white/black ckeek born here.
This is the white/black ckeek born here.
Screenshot_20190108-025409~2.png (163.03 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

Rick
Pip
Pip

Post by Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 pm

Hello,

For my surprise in the other nest from the same couple of zebras it appeared a female that seems to be WC. We can see the white cheek dot enhanced over the white feather from cfw, also the tear mark was ommited.
Whit her now I have a couple of WC to work for next season.

Any suggestion to work that mutation?
Attachments
Female - WC CFW
Female - WC CFW

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:04 pm

I have just bred a full 2 clutches of these from my zebras
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3