The White Cheek mutation in Zebra finch-

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lerera
Hatchling
Hatchling

The White Cheek mutation in Zebra finch-

Post by lerera » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am

This info is taken from Israel Finch’s site on the web (http://www.ifinch.org)
The White Cheek mutation- WC
It’s a recessive autosomal mutation, it was found first in Europe in 2005!!! It was discover in Israel as well by a breeder name- Ariel, and he managed to reproduce it and spread it in Israel.
About the colors-
The male- the tear mark disappear and instead of it the white area expand from the beak And until the middle of the cheek, the white dotes on the flank become like strips (reminding the flank of the black Breast mutation).
The female- the only sign is a whole white cheek.
In the meanwhile it’s hard to not possible to recognize the splits.
The only combinations that I saw were the WC with BC, I tried to make a BC BF with WC but I only got an offspring that was BC BF split to WC.
These are some pictures of this mutation (from the site- http://www.ifinch.org)-
Attachments
taken from Ariel- Israeli breeder
taken from Ariel- Israeli breeder<br />(http://ifinch.org/zf_wc.htm)
(http://ifinch.org/zf_wc.htm)
A picture taken from Ariel- Israeli breeder (http://ifinch.org/zf_wc.htm)
A picture taken from Ariel- Israeli breeder (http://ifinch.org/zf_wc.htm)
Last edited by lerera on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 pairs of Gouldian finches, 2 pairs of painted finches, 1 pair of fawn/normal owl finches, 1 pair of lutino/normal blue face PF , 2 dogs, 2 horses, many fish...

lerera
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: The White Cheek mutation in Zebra finch-

Post by lerera » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

I had 2 females that were WC BC, I tried to work with them for a while and than I stopped and tried to focus on the other projects that I had...
Attachments
they had some offspring the only one worth to mention is the BC BF split to WC, but that where it end....
they had some offspring the only one worth to mention is the BC BF split to WC, but that where it end....
this is one of my pairs- the male was BF split to BB and BC, the female was WC BC
this is one of my pairs- the male was BF split to BB and BC, the female was WC BC
BF-M + WC BC-F.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 7852 times
Another male from Ariel's aviary
Another male from Ariel's aviary
3 pairs of Gouldian finches, 2 pairs of painted finches, 1 pair of fawn/normal owl finches, 1 pair of lutino/normal blue face PF , 2 dogs, 2 horses, many fish...

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am

That's a gorgeous bird!
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am

I agree...beautiful bird :D

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:36 am

The WC is an absolutely beautiful mutation. =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Gorgeous birds! I love that mutation. :D

Ameza
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by Ameza » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Great pictures, beautiful birds, and great info! I have been wondering about this mutation for a little while.

Finch Blog in Icelandic but you can still look at the pictures :)
Tumblr Art Blog

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info!!! I too have been wondering about this mutation. I have a hen that looks like a WC BUT she has the black tear marks......I have no idea what she is. Ill post pics later.
Chris

Gouldians: GB-YB-BB-SB
RTPF
Societies
80+ Zebras in many mutations
Diamond Doves-working on a new mutation!
Mearns Quail-coming soon!
Mandarin Ducks
Senegal Parrot of 15 years

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

Nagdabit
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Nagdabit » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 am

Very interesting mutation, have not heard of it before. There are normal gray hens that have a light fawnish colored cheek patches on occasion that generally are referred to as "ghost" cheek patches. Not too common but I have seen them on occasion. Most breeders consider this marking to be a show fault and do not actively try to breed to promote the mutation, so it's appearance is rather random.
30+ Zebra Finches (The actual number constantly changes) 2 Rabbits (1 Mini Rex, 1 Dutch), 1 Grouchy Old Fart, and 1 Dang Redhead

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Nagdabit wrote:Very interesting mutation, have not heard of it before. There are normal gray hens that have a light fawnish colored cheek patches on occasion that generally are referred to as "ghost" cheek patches. Not too common but I have seen them on occasion. Most breeders consider this marking to be a show fault and do not actively try to breed to promote the mutation, so it's appearance is rather random.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll still post pics later so you guys can all have a go. :)
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:27 pm

I sure want to see your pics too Chris to compare to my WC Zeb.
Liz

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 am

Here she/it is lol! It wouldn't be a WC due to the Tear Marks so I have no idea what she is. Is this just a hen with strong "ghost" cheeks......let me know what you guys think. I call "it" a she because she behaves just like a female. Also, there are NO signs of breast bars or colored flanks.

She is a bit rough in feather....I just got her and there must have been one very dominant bird in that cage because all but one were beat up! She is in quarantine at the moment but I plan on breeding her (if fertile) to see what comes out of it. Again, I'd love to hear some comments!
Attachments
026 Compresed.jpg
Zebs and Cordon Finches 025 Compressed.jpg
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:39 am

I am of no help with the mutation Chris, but I just wanted to mention that she is one beautiful little zeb. =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

lerera
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by lerera » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Chris, it seems from the picture that your female has some kind of faded orange cheek, this can be related to the Orange Breast mutation (OB), in females what you can see (in splits and in full OB) is the faded orange cheek and faded dotes on the flank, try to see if you can distinguish these kind of dotes if so than your female is probably a split OB.
It worth mention that I had several females with the same mark of the cheek in the past and although I tried to mate them with a fully OB males none of the offspring was born as a fully OB so there might be something else that cause the appearance of the cheek in females.

Nagdabit
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Nagdabit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 am

Chris

While OB certainly is a possibility, check this link...

http://www.efinch.com/species/obzeb.htm

If the orange is carried into the tail bar area, then OB is most likely the culprit. Chances are if there is no other odd coloring indicators outside of the cheek patches, then they are probably ghost cheek patches. Breeding her could help to determine for sure. But to me the coloring is more along the lines of tan than orange, which also would be an indicator of ghost cheek.

Nevertheless I would have to agree with Janine. She is quite stunning. You'll have to keep us up to date on her progress
30+ Zebra Finches (The actual number constantly changes) 2 Rabbits (1 Mini Rex, 1 Dutch), 1 Grouchy Old Fart, and 1 Dang Redhead