Agression Spice Finches?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Carmen
Nestling
Nestling

Agression Spice Finches?

Post by Carmen » Wed May 03, 2006 4:56 pm

I always thought Spice Finches were nice, passive birds, but my two are more the opposite. They are two males.
They are now in the outdoor aviary, and have built already two nests. For the building they are ruining nests of my other birds, although I have enough material for them!
I suspect them also for attacking my crimsonwing male :(
Does anyone recognise this behaviour?
I am thinking of selling them, it's not funny anymore, my crimsonwing is really harmed. :cry:

I'm really curious someone has the same experiences, or can help me what to do now
Carmen

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed May 03, 2006 9:01 pm

I have a pair of spices and they've always gotten along with everybody else in the cage. They did pick on one of their own juveniles when I thought (briefly) that it would be a good idea to put the juvies back in with the parents so they'd learn to be spices (I fostered them to societies), but then everybody picked on the poor little guy so he's now back with his foster parents learning to be a society! The spices have never been with other nesting birds, though, so I can't say how they'd react in that situation. They were in with zeb hens, who had nests but no nesting material, and left them alone.

Hope your crimsonwing is ok!

Hilary

Carmen
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Carmen » Mon May 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Thanks Hilary,
I think they wanted to protect their nest, and that the Crimsonwing just got too near the nest.
But I have now a temporary solution: I've put the Spices in there old breeding cage and put the Owls outside. They love it!
Funny to see them trying to fly :)
So I'm not sure I'll keep the Spices, I like them very much, I just think my aviary is too small. But now I can at least think about it for a while and decide if I'm going to build a larger aviary :)

The Crimsonwing is OK, he was a bit frightened and slept also a lot, but now the Spices are gone it's much better.
Carmen

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu May 11, 2006 7:47 pm

Carmen -

Glad to hear you came up with a solution. Hope it's still working out. I get a kick out of my spices - the male sings constantly!

Hilary