Breeding Zebras

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
thommocunningham

Breeding Zebras

Post by thommocunningham » Sat May 06, 2006 6:53 pm

I currently have three zebras one each sex standard zebra and one male penquin, she seems to always hang out with Penquin, she lays umpteen eggs (10 to date) but all infertile. All three currently share a cage indoors with plenty of attention and fresh water, fruit and food. I am planning an outdoor aviary and external flight so any suggestioons as to which birds to keep and where to buy from would be greatly appreciated. These are my first Finches and would like to get off to a good start. Please help!

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Sat May 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Hello and welcome!

A question for you.. you said you had three zebras. I'm thinking that you might have two females due to the number of eggs you have. Normally they stop around 6 (although some will lay more).

I'm not sure where you're located so I wouldn't know what to suggest as far as an outdoor aviary goes. I couldnt keep my zebras outside as it's WAY too cold here to house them outdoors.

If your aviary is big enough you'll probably be able to pick up a mate for the third finch and keep all four in the same aviary. It must be large enough though or there will be fighting both males and both females. At least that's my experience.

If the area is too small, both couples will interfere with the breeding of the other couple.

I'm new to this too, but this has been my experience so far..

Jeannette