moved my 4 finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

moved my 4 finches

Post by Tish » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:34 am

A few weeks ago I added 4 society finches to my original 2, but sadly they didn't interact with each other. My original male was shy and stuck to his mate, and I wasn't sure if he felt comfortable and it made me feel bad for him. So I bought another flight cage and moved the 4 birds into it. Will post pictures tomorrow of their new home.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: moved my 4 finches

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:33 am

Tish

Sounds good mate, at least yer birds will now feel more settled :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 am

Tish

How are things working out with the two cages?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:29 am

I don't like having 2 cages, they take up to much space and make my living room less welcoming.....but the birds are happy, which is nice, but it's a lot more work with 2 flight cages.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Tish

Have you tried introducing the new kids on the block one at a time to the first cage with your original two birds?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:17 pm

No I haven't thought of that. Might give it a shot

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:01 am

Tish

My societies CackleJax & Deuce will not share a nest with anyone. So When I introduced another society pair, Broody & Brody to their cage, I just added another nest. Each pair enjoy having a separate nest which is odd for societies but they live & eat together fine.

When introducing 4 to 2, the original 2 may get overwelmed at first. Try putting in another nest, introducing 2 to the original cage. Introduce the last two when all four seem at ease (also add a 3rd nest if needed). I agree with Elana about gradually putting in your new guys, but I would do it two at a time. Look for the two in your new cage that have pair bonded and move them first.

You may find, like I have, That your pairs all like separate nests. And it gives them all a place to chill away from each other while getting acquainted. Be ready for eggs, and have some fake eggs to slip under them in all the nests.

Then you can phase out the other cage.