zebras afraid of bath, what should i do?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
soaring-yonder
Pip
Pip

zebras afraid of bath, what should i do?

Post by soaring-yonder » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 am

I put in a small bath for my two zebra finches, and they seem really scared of it, flying around and staying away from the corner it's in. Should I take it out because it's scaring them or should I leave it for them to get used to? I know this is probably a silly question I'm just very new to this.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: zebras afraid of bath, what should i do?

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:31 am

soaring-yonder

What kind of container are you using for the bath? If they can't see through the vessel, they may be scared not knowing what it contains.

Try something clear, so they know its just water in there. My societies especially are wary of anything new, so I use this for all my finches and they all love it.
Attachments
birdbath.jpg
birdbath.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 663 times

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 pm

soaring-yonder@Babs

I use that same birdbath for my canaries and they love it. You can place it high or low in the cage. I purchased mine on Amazon. Soaring-Yonder I hope you can find a way to get your finches to bathe, once they try it I bet they will love it.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:43 pm

We used this one for 14!!! years... worked great, never leaked, and the canaries loved it!

https://www.amazon.com/Pen-Plax-BA808-D ... =bird+bath

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:56 pm

soaring-yonder

I just use large oblong plastic dishes, like tupperware or something like that, and put in about half an inch of lukewarm water.

All my guys jump in as soon as the tubs are on the flight floor. At times, I even have a line up, and they take turns splashing around like mad, coming out looking like wet rats and fluttering like maniacs, splashing water everywhere.

Your two Zebbies, probably come from a home or a breeder where they were never offered a bath (poor birdies).

I would put in the tub, place some spray millet crumbles around the outside, maybe some favorite greens as well. Seeing as Zebras are nosey birds, they will eventually come to the goodies, and eventually investigate the tub as well. It might take a little while and some patience, but I'm pretty sure they will come around.

Good luck
Attachments
20151013_151541.jpg
20160308_134646-1.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~