finches not sleeping together

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

finches not sleeping together

Post by Tish » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:38 am

I added my 4 society finches (2 males and 2 females) and my other 2 society finches (1 male and 1 female) together about a week ago. However my 2 finches are not sleeping with the other 4 finches. Should I be concerned that they are not connecting? The 4 sleep in a seed dish and the 2 sleep on a perch. There has been no fighting as far as I have seen, though I have seen the 2 males sing in the 1 males face, but he just flies away when that happens. Does this sound normal? Am I being paranoid about things not working out. I just need them to be in 1 cage together it would make me so happy, if I separate them again I may have to consider rehoming the 2 finches which hurts to think about because I love them, but what else can I do :(
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: finches not sleeping together

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:36 am

Tish

Not sure I understand, why did you seperate them?

Just because they are not sleeping together, doesn't really mean anything bad. It simply takes time for two groups of birds to become one group, and it is nothing to worry about.

You mentioned that 2 of the males are singing at the 3rd one. That is perfectly normal, when you introduce new Socies together. You might even see them attempting to mount one another, and that again, is normal behavior.

No worries , and no need to rehome anyone...:lol:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 am

X2, Sounds like normal behavior for Societies. They'll come around.
John

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Tish, I have a dozen societies in a large flight cage. They don't all sleep together. Some sleep here...some sleep there. Some beak duel. As long as there is no constant chasing, blood, or feathers flying, I consider them to be compatible.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:21 pm

lovezebs wrote: Tish

Not sure I understand, why did you seperate them?

Just because they are not sleeping together, doesn't really mean anything bad. It simply takes time for two groups of birds to become one group, and it is nothing to worry about.

You mentioned that 2 of the males are singing at the 3rd one. That is perfectly normal, when you introduce new Socies together. You might even see them attempting to mount one another, and that again, is normal behavior.

No worries , and no need to rehome anyone...:lol:
I separated them before for a little while. But now they are all in the same cage, and have been for the last week. I was worried that this wasn't normal behavior, just needed someone to tell me it was ok.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Tish

Absolutely normal behaviour my dear :D :D :D .

Now if you want all hell to break loose, throw in some Zebras.... :twisted:

LOL!!! Couldn't help myself, just kidding :wink:

Would love to see some pictures of the crew.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:40 pm

I don't have a very good Camara at the moment, but here is some photos that I took with my tablet.
Attachments
20160910_180056.jpg
20160910_180122.jpg
20160910_180103.jpg
image-5.jpeg

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:43 pm

lovezebs wrote: Tish

Absolutely normal behaviour my dear :D :D :D .

Now if you want all hell to break loose, throw in some Zebras.... :twisted:

LOL!!! Couldn't help myself, just kidding :wink:

Would love to see some pictures of the crew.
I love zebra finches, but they are to naughty for me..lol

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 pm

Tish

Zebras naughty :shock: ??? Nooo, not those darling pretty little Zebbies.... :^o

Thanks for sharing your cuties with all of us Tish. Look at the little fellow in the middle of picture #2 from the top. He's all puffed up and singing away, lol.

Offer them some vines and greenery from the $ store, and watch them get busy with it. They absolutely love to play with it, arrange it, swing in it, hide in it, and can fuss with it for hours. Socies also love swings to play with.
~Elana~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:45 pm

They're beautiful birds! The three in the last picture look like little penquins. Are they a specific color mutation?

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Tish, they are so pretty! I love societies. I have 2 that are solid white (I think they are called Dark Eyed Whites because their eyes are not pink/red), 1 chocolate pied, 2 chocolate pied dilutes/dilute chocolate pied (? Not sure the correct color name), and a bunch of fawn pieds. Funny to watch them pick out their best friends. I have some youngsters that try out their "boy songs" in the faces of the older ones. The older males are like :roll: . LOL!! I also have some that pair up and they aren't interested in community activities. Your kids will be fine in the same cage. Put a bath in there that is big enough for all 6 of them to get in at the same time. That's hilarious!!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!