laying eggs

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
tcook1
Pip
Pip

laying eggs

Post by tcook1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:06 pm

I am new to zebra finches. I have 2 females. One of them is laying eggs frequently. I do not have a nest in the cage because I read it encouraged laying eggs. One of the females is laying one egg every week and a half to two weeks. Do they need a nest? I did purchase dummy eggs, but I have not used them yet as I am unsure if they are necessary. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: laying eggs

Post by Sally » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:17 pm

The way to use the dummy eggs is to have a nest, let the hen lay some eggs, and then replace them with the dummy eggs. She will sit on those dummies, and that will stop the egg laying for the present. Eventually, she will give up on the dummies, and then she may start laying eggs again.

If she is only laying eggs one every week or two, that is not excessive, and she may eventually stop it altogether if you keep tossing the eggs and don't give her a nest.

Egg laying does take calcium out of the hen's system, so it is good to make sure she is getting extra calcium. You can add some liquid calcium to the water once a week, or you can make sure she has access to a mineral mix.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: laying eggs

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:33 pm

tcook1

Welcome to the Forum.

Sally already offered good advice, so good luck with your little girls.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~