Keeping Gouldian Finches and Other birds. Can this be done ?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Keeping Gouldian Finches and Other birds. Can this be do

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:32 pm

JerseyGuy

Funny you mentioned an adult Senegal, lol. Just saw one advertised on kijiji, about two and a half hours from where I live. What a wierd coincidence, because you don't see them come up all that often.

If only you lived closer, sigh....

Good luck with your 'bird hunt' :D
Attachments
20161020_162638.png
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:53 pm

lovezebs JerseyGuy

Elana <3 Such a great suggestion!

Patrick, male parrotlets have a capacity for over 200 words. They speak very fast.

And Elana is right. A younger bird will build more language since you are their "flock" and they learn language from you instead of older birds.
Senegals I think use more "body language" than words. Im not too familiar with them.

Very important you choose the right fit. Parrots have long lives.

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Well, I am on the waiting list to receive a Senegal Parrot baby in 2017. He/she will be housed in the Bedroom, and the Finches are in the living room. I won't get the Senegal until probably April/May, so I have plenty of time to prepare and read up on what it's like to own a Senegal Parrot.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:43 pm

JerseyGuy

Oh so exciting ! And definitely something to look forward to.

You know of course that we'll all be expecting a million pictures of the baby, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm sort of excited too. I have always wanted a Senegal. I guess I've always wanted to get back into owning another Parrot. So keep your fingers crossed that it works for me. I love my Finches a lot too.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:29 pm

JerseyGuy

Lots of love to go around, lol.

I forget, what kind of parrot did you have before?
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

JerseyGuy

Great! I know you are super excited! Everynight when I would go to the pet store while my ringneck was weaning seemed like forever to get him home! I was there for a few hours each night for six weeks! And for 4 hours every Saturday and Sunday.

Love to hear what senegals are like and how much fun they are!

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:20 am

Senegals are so full of character! My rescue friend is addicted to them and has four or so, she keeps EVERY Senegal that comes into the rescue as her personal birds :lol: i absolutely love interacting with the little guys. They all look different too even if they are the same colors. My favorite one has these bulging chihuahua eyes that give her a hilarious expression and she's a lover! They talk too.
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:05 am

Hi guys, Thank you for the recommendations. Since I can't have the bird I want, my other option (for the future) is a Senegal Parrot. I have seen the Rosy Bourkes at the Pet Store where I purchased my Gouldian Finches. Unfortunately, they lack the "look" of a Parrot. They also carried Parrotlets, which are small, and I'm not familiar with their behavior or if they have the ability to speak. So since this is not going to be an upcoming purchase, but rather something to aim for in the future, I have plenty of time to do my homework. I don't want a Baby bird. I prefer an Adult, and many Pet Bird Stores seem to specialize in Babies.
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:11 am

I had a parrolett...loved the bird..I thought he was a great pet..he was a male and did say several words..I had him even doing tricks..had him for 7 years..sold him because a girl wanted one for her grandmother that just lost her husband..and I have 2 parents in their 80s that need a lot of attention..I wish I had not sold him . they can be nippy at times..not for young children..hope you find what you want and good luck...
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..