Singing..

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Singing..

Post by Finley16 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 pm

I am pretty sure I have a male..thought I heard him sing once..he chirps a lot...does it take time for them to settle in..I have had him 1 week...I tried to Google it but couldn't find any info..
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

Suz
Pip
Pip

Re: Singing..

Post by Suz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:44 am

Be patient I have had hens that sang and have purchased males that laid eggs :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 am

Suz

From the colours in the picture in your other thread, I would say that you have a boy. Looks like a Red Headed, Purple Breasted, Green Backed boy.

If it's singing, then you def have a boy, seeing as females don't sing.

Just a bit of advice, it is strongly recommended to keep at least two finches , so that they can be company for each other. Finches, as a rule tend to not do very well on their own, and unlike Canaries (who don't mind being alone), can become lonely and depressed.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 am

Well I thought by the colors I did too..but just wondered if it may take some time to sing...I reached about having one finch and what I found it said it was fine..as long as they are with you most of the time..I keep Finley in our sun room where we are most of the time...what I read said they will bond to you instead of another bird..I will keep an eye on him or her to see ..I just thought if he didn't sing right off the bat he must be a her...lol
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:28 am

I don't think an adult finch will really bond with its human owner.
And unless you are moving in with him in his cage to be ready to cuddle and preen each other any time, 24 hours a day, you won't be a real substitute for another finch as a companion for him.

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Lol...we will see..I wouldnt care to get another male but sure don't want to raise birds..I have done a lot of research on them though..I have had in the past a sun conure, parrolett, cockatiel..but am enjoying my finch...he comes up on my finger...but I read they don't like to be held..thanks for all the advice...appreciate it..

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm

I have 2 male Gouldians and they are WONDERFUL with each other....they sing to each other and do that silly little hopping dance for each other! Watching the two of them interact is just a joy to watch! When I come to the side of the cage, one will come over and turn his head back and forth to see me and figure out what I'm doing. The other will notice that he's not afraid and is starting to imitate the others behavior. I also have a single male own finch in with them and they all have a blast!!!

I too, did NOT want the whole breeding thing.... not yet. I want to figure out how take the best care of them that I can without worring about all the breeding stuff. But I managed to get a male and female owl! She passed away and a friend who has a flock of males told me to introduce him because he was a mess without her. He's SO much happier now that he has a "flock" LOL!!!! :P
Mary Mac

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:25 am

It's pretty much vital for finches to have another finch companion. Imagine living in a cage in a world of giants hundreds of times your size with nobody your size who speaks your language around for your entire life. You would be absolutely miserable. Flock life is integral to most finch species and gouldians are no exception. Please get your bird a friend.
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:45 pm

He is a he...yahooo..he started singing this morning..so glad I didn't want to worry about egg binding..I read up a lot before I picked him out...that helped so much...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Finley16

Well, good luck to you then.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~