New to Finches and have a question..

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Deborah Ann
Pip
Pip

New to Finches and have a question..

Post by Deborah Ann » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:50 am

Goodmorning...I have been lurking on this board for a year since I got my 2 black cheeked finches (boys). I now have a problem. Two days ago I lost one of one of the boys...only 2 yrs old. It looks like he died very quickly, maybe a heart attach. He was alive and well in the afternoon..At dinner time my son dropped 3 bowls....so loud noise, big mess. About an hour later I went to cover up my birds (I have parrots also)and discovered my little guy on the cage bottom. He was perfect on the outside, so bald spots, no dirty bottom, no lumps. He died in a perfect "perch" position. My problem is that I had decided when these 2 passed I was not going to get anymore finches, as I'm getting older and looking at leaving the work force in a few years I know I need to cut down on my animal population at home (I would have 2 of everything if I could afford it!) Right now I have 2 dogs, 2 budgies, a cockatiel, a quaker and a conure. Oh, and I have a husband who has never been crazy about birds (his loss) So my problem is what to do with this boy. The bird shop where I got him from said they would take him back. She also said I could keep him as a single, but my understanding is that finches should not be by themselves. Part of me wants to keep him, but part of me says this would not be fair to him if I don't want to buy another bird.
So far my lone bird is doing ok, he is eating, beeping but not at much as he was. He is attentive when I go over to his cage.
So...do I keep him as a single or find him a new home?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New to Finches and have a question..

Post by Sally » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:19 pm

To be honest, most finches prefer a companion, preferably one of their own species. I'm assuming your little boy is a Zebra finch. He can get along by himself, but he won't be as happy as if he had a buddy. Since you are wanting to downsize anyway, and the pet shop said they would take him, my personal choice would be to return him to the pet shop. He wouldn't be able to go in with any of your other birds.

So sorry you lost his little friend. We rarely know what happened when they die suddenly like that, he could have flown up into the top of the cage and hit his head.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:36 pm

I am new to lady Gould finches myself after having different other birds...as of now I only have the one...I know people have said I need to get another bird, and I may, but for now my little guy started singing and seems as happy as can be..he is in a room that we are most of the day..I have added a mirrow..and fake birds around the cage till I figure out what to do about a friend as I don't want babies..lol I also have read where it says they will not die and if they are with you they will be fine...but like I say I am new to this type of bird and learning everyday..he also come on my finger when I put my hand in the cage...good luck..
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:34 pm

A tame finch can be kept alone if given lots of attention, but one that fears human interaction will be unhappy without a bird companion.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Deborah Ann

Hi and welcome to the Forum,

Sorry that you lost your one little fella.
Hard to say what could have happened. These little guys are experts at hiding their health problems.

Personally I would get him a friend, but that's me, not you.

As Sally had said, if you want to downsize, then finding him a home where he would have the company of others of his own kind, would be ideal. Barring that, returning him to the Pet Shop, is an option (but no guarantee that he won't end up as a lone bird somewhere anyway).

It is a difficult decision, but one that you ultimately will have to make .

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Finley16

Hello,

Finches, don't play with fake birds and toys like Budgies and Parrots.

They need a large enough cage, so that they can fly from side to side for exercise. They do like swings though.

No, he will not die if he is alone, but he will be very lonely. Finches like the company of others of their own kind.

If you are concerned about babies, then get another Gouldian male. Males of this species, get along very well together and will sing to each other, and be happy in each other's company.

Here are a few of my boys singing together.
Attachments
20160312_123359.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Deborah Ann
Pip
Pip

Post by Deborah Ann » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Thank-you for your replies...I've gone back and forth on this...but then my husband came home yesterday and said he got laid off of work..and since I was sort of feeling my choices were get this boy a buddy or give him up..I guess at this point I have to think about possible vet bills, and the fewer of those the better as I don't think my husband is going to be able to go and get another job and make what he was making...In honor of today I'm wearing my grumpy cat T-shirt...:(

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Deborah Ann

So sorry to hear about your bad news.
Life just doesn't get any easier, does it.... :(

I hope hubby finds a new job soon. Sending good wishes winging in your direction.
~Elana~

Deborah Ann
Pip
Pip

Post by Deborah Ann » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:20 am

Thank-you..this is not a good start to the new year...:(

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Deborah Ann

No, it isn't, but hopefully things will get better [-o< sooner rather than later.
~Elana~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:48 pm

If he goes back to the pet store, as stated above, there is a good chance that he will end up as a single bird anyway, and maybe in a place where there are no other birds at all. I would keep him ether as a single or get another finch too. They are not that expensive to keep and if they get sick usually you care for them yourself, as most vets don't do much to help small birds anyway. Another option is if you know someone who keeps finches and would like to add yours to their collection. Don't ever give a bird away to someone you don't know as there are people that use them for snake food. Hope things work out well for everyone.