is my little girl pregnant?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Phyllis125
Pip
Pip

is my little girl pregnant?

Post by Phyllis125 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi! Just got two finches about 10 days ago. A male and a female. Today the female is acting really strange, staying very close to the male, nestling her head in his side. She is also sitting in the feed dish. Could she be pregnant? I just got them ten days ago...what is the gestation period?

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Re: is my little girl pregnant?

Post by FinchGrinch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. What kind of finches do you have? Its my understanding that finches dont really become pregnant per-se. The hens just develop eggs and lay them. One egg at a time over a 24 hour period. They dont "carry" their eggs. If the male has mounted her, then fertilization of the eggs could take place. Others with more knowledge than I will chime in soon too. Im still somewhat of a finch rookie but they are really fun little birds.

Again Welcome, lots of good people and information here.

John
John

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:20 am

Phyllis125

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

As was already mentioned above birds don't get pregnant :D

If she's checking out the seed cups, she might be looking for a place to nest, so she may surprise you with an egg baby.

Are you interested in your birds raising a family?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:59 am

Phyllis125

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find articles explaining the breeding process. As others have said, birds don't really get pregnant. The hen starts forming an egg, and if she has mated with a fertile male, that egg gets fertilized, and then she lays it--one egg about each 24 hours.

If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to offer specific help sometimes.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Phyllis125
Pip
Pip

Post by Phyllis125 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm

[quote="FinchGrinch"]Welcome to the forum. What kind of finches do you have? Its my understanding that finches dont really become pregnant per-se. The hens just develop eggs and lay them. One egg at a time over a 24 hour period. They dont "carry" their eggs. If the male has mounted her, then fertilization of the eggs could take place. Others with more knowledge than I will chime in soon too. Im still somewhat of a finch rookie but they are really fun little birds.

Again Welcome, lots of good people and information here.

John

They are Zebra finches.
So, if her eggs don't get fertilized she will continue to lay eggs? And how would I know if they have been fertilized? I would hate to throw them out if they have a little finch inside :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Phyllis125

My first question will be, do you want to breed, and will you be able to find homes for the upcoming babies?

I ask, because Zebras, are the bunny rabbits of the Finch world, which is something a lot of people don't realize, and end up being over run by a multitude of Zebras, not knowing what to do with them all.

If you do not wish to breed, then DO NOT offer them a nest, and toss any eggs that happen to appear in the cage.

If you do want to breed, then by all means offer them a nest, and some hay or dry grass, or coconut fiber, to start them off.

Also offer a varied diet of good quality finch seed, spray millet, hard boiled eggs, a variety of greens, crushed egg shells, and cuttle bone, along with fresh drinking water everyday, and fresh bath water as well.

Your kids will mate, breed and lay eggs. Both will share in incubating (sitting on the eggs), and both will feed the babies once they hatch.

I would not recommend handling nest or eggs too much, as some parents will abandon.

Here's a time line of what to expect:

Anywhere between 2-7 eggs

Incubation will start usually after the 3rd egg is laid (which means one or the other, or both parents will sit on the eggs pretty much around the clock).

Between 11 to 15 days, the eggs will begin to hatch.

Chicks will usually fledge (leave the nest), around the age of 18-22 days..

At this stage, chicks are dependent on parents for feeding, untill approximately 35 days old.

Once they are both eating and drinking on their own, they can be seperated from their parents into another cage.

Around 5-8 weeks, they will moult into their adult colours, and can go to their new homes.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Phyllis125
Pip
Pip

Post by Phyllis125 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 am

lovezebs wrote: Phyllis125

My first question will be, do you want to breed, and will you be able to find homes for the upcoming babies?

I ask, because Zebras, are the bunny rabbits of the Finch world, which is something a lot of people don't realize, and end up being over run by a multitude of Zebras, not knowing what to do with them all.

If you do not wish to breed, then DO NOT offer them a nest, and toss any eggs that happen to appear in the cage.

If you do want to breed, then by all means offer them a nest, and some hay or dry grass, or coconut fiber, to start them off.

Also offer a varied diet of good quality finch seed, spray millet, hard boiled eggs, a variety of greens, crushed egg shells, and cuttle bone, along with fresh drinking water everyday, and fresh bath water as well.

Your kids will mate, breed and lay eggs. Both will share in incubating (sitting on the eggs), and both will feed the babies once they hatch.

I would not recommend handling nest or eggs too much, as some parents will abandon.

Here's a time line of what to expect:

Anywhere between 2-7 eggs

Incubation will start usually after the 3rd egg is laid (which means one or the other, or both parents will sit on the eggs pretty much around the clock).

Between 11 to 15 days, the eggs will begin to hatch.

Chicks will usually fledge (leave the nest), around the age of 18-22 days..

At this stage, chicks are dependent on parents for feeding, untill approximately 35 days old.

Once they are both eating and drinking on their own, they can be seperated from their parents into another cage.

Around 5-8 weeks, they will moult into their adult colours, and can go to their new homes.

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:24 am

Hello Phyllis125,

Be aware that young hens can stand a good chance of getting eggbound if they start laying too soon, and you MUST have calcium, and vitamin D supplement (to ensure she is absorbing it) available for them at all times. I've had female canary hens and Zebra finches, and they've all died of egg binding.

I didn't know about the vitamin D until one of my lovely Zebra finch hens died. I only have males now, which is kinda sad because hens are nice. Also have lots of green leafy vegetables and salads. They'll love them. Egg food is also good, or actual hard boiled egg mashed up.

Good luck!

Zebrafincher

Phyllis125
Pip
Pip

Post by Phyllis125 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 am

Zebrafincher wrote: Hello Phyllis125,

Be aware that young hens can stand a good chance of getting eggbound if they start laying too soon, and you MUST have calcium, and vitamin D supplement (to ensure she is absorbing it) available for them at all times. I've had female canary hens and Zebra finches, and they've all died of egg binding.

I didn't know about the vitamin D until one of my lovely Zebra finch hens died. I only have males now, which is kinda sad because hens are nice. Also have lots of green leafy vegetables and salads. They'll love them. Egg food is also good, or actual hard boiled egg mashed up.

Good luck!

Zebrafincher

thank you! Really appreciate all the help :)

Phyllis125
Pip
Pip

Post by Phyllis125 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:48 am

Zebrafincher

Hi and thank you. What exactly is egg binding and how will I recognize it?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Phyllis125

Egg binding, is when a female bird has an egg inside which she can't lay.

This is an extremely serious, almost always fatal condition, if there is no intervention.

Here's an article, which you might find interesting:
There is also all sorts of information which you might find helpfull on the Finch Information Centre on this Forum.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=3060
~Elana~

Phyllis125
Pip
Pip

Post by Phyllis125 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:19 am

Thank you again! I want to do the right thing for my sweet birds. George and Gracie!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Phyllis125

I hope all works out well for Mr and Mrs Burns :lol:
~Elana~