Finch couple laying eggs in food bowl.

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Mrs.Finch
Pip
Pip

Finch couple laying eggs in food bowl.

Post by Mrs.Finch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for looking at my post. I have a pair of Zebra Finches that have decided to use their seed bowl as their nest. I am a little worried because my hen has already laid 5 eggs in it and it is a small food bowl. I am afraid that they will fall out once they hatch. I decided not to move the eggs because I was afraid that they would abandon the eggs.. and that didn't feel right :( . anyhow, now I found this forum! and I am wondering if I should move the eggs out of the food bowl and into an actual bamboo nest or something. im sure someone has encountered this problem before as I have see many inquiries around the internet from people saying it has happened. but I cant seem to find a solution :? ! I appreciate your help.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Finch couple laying eggs in food bowl.

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Mrs.Finch

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

My first question to most people is, do you want to breed?

If the answer is no, then replace the eggs with fake eggs, or simply toss them out.
If the answer is yes, and you feel that you can find homes for many little Zebra youngsters then continue reading.

Re. the eggs in the seed cup.
This is certainly not unusual for a true pair of Zebras. Lacking a nest, they will lay eggs pretty much anywhere.

As to moving the eggs into a nest.
I would hang a nest right up close to the chosen seed cup and leave it there for a couple of days for them to get used to it. You can add a bit of shredded kleenex into this new nest.

After a couple of days, I would offer your pair some very enticing treat at the other side of the cage. While they are busy, I would remove the seed cup, gently transfer the eggs into the nest, and hang the nest exactly where the seed cup had been.

It may take them a bit of time, but they should figure it out once they see the eggs in the nest.

Make sure to offer lots of hard boiled egg, a variety of greens, spray millet, and lots of crushed egg shells and cuttle bone (very important for your female to replace the calcium which she has used up from her own body to make the eggs).

Please feel free to ask questions if you have any, and good luck :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Mrs.Finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Mrs.Finch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:53 pm

lovezebs

Thank you!

Now since you know now about my cage scenario.. do you think I should do this first and then move the new nest to the flight cage once they get a little used to it? Or if I transfer the eggs from the cup to the nest and directly into the new cage, will they even know it's their eggs?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:03 am

Mrs.Finch

If you mean transfer the birds to the new cage, let them get used to it for a few days, then bring in the nests with the eggs.....

You can't do that, because once they have started incubating the eggs, if they are off the eggs for any period of time the developing chicks will die.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Mrs.Finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Mrs.Finch » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 am

lovezebs

Well, what I mean is.. should I do the switch of the egg transfer first how you had recommended.. like how you said to put a nest where their food bowl was. Then let them get used to the idea that that "is" their nest. And then once they get used to this after a few days, move them and their nest to the flight cage? I'm only asking this because I'm afraid that if I transfer the eggs to the new nest and then immediately switch cages, they won't realize that those are their eggs. Or would they know instinctively that those "are" their own eggs and that that is their new nest?.. see my other couple I am less worried about because they have their own actual nest and they made it and have been laying in it for about a week now and it would be the same nest, in a bigger cage.. but the food bowl couple, would be getting their eggs put into a whole new nest and cage.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 am

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at http://www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on breeding and on the Zebra finch. If you put your general location in your profile, it will make it easier for members to direct you to where to get supplies, etc.

If you are going to move the birds to a new flight cage, the simplest thing would be to go ahead and move the birds and then toss the eggs, if that doesn't bother you. If you don't want to breed, you will have to actively try to prevent it, like with fake eggs, as Elana has suggested.

If you want to breed, keep in mind that you will need more cages, as if you leave children in with their parents, the parents will eventually mate with their chilcren. Sorry, but Zebras don't has the same ethics as we do, especially when they are confined to cages.

Personally, if you want to breed, I would still go ahead and move the Zebras into the new cage, planning to start all over with proper nests and nesting material. I'd toss the current eggs, as they will most likely abandon them anyway with the move.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 am

After seeing your latest post, I have to ask if you have two pairs of Zebras. If you have two pairs in Zebras in the same cage, you may run into territorial issues, with the pairs fighting over the territory in the cage.

If you decide to leave seed cup pair in the original cage, then you could follow Elana's suggestions for moving the eggs eventually into a regular nest.

Mrs.Finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Mrs.Finch » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Sally

Thank you for your advice. yes i do have two couples in the current cage. Jordan and Elizabeth (food cup parents) and Jacob and Ashley (sandwich nest parents). and yes.. the reason why i got the flight was because while doing research on why Jordan was picking on Jake, i found out that with finches, length is more important than height(and of coarse, shortly after, each hen laid eggs). i did read somewhere that i could create a barrier to divide the two territories between the two couples. such as a fake plant? that is what i am planning on doing. and then placing their nests on opposite sides (length wise) of the cage. i will divide the toys, one for each couple and then each side will get their millet spray and cuttlebone. i suppose i will try to transfer their nests into the new cage, ofcoarse understanding that will more than likely abandon them.. if i see that they have abandoned, then i will take the eggs out. i just want to atleast try. only because i dont want them to lay another 6 eggs and use up more energy and calcium.. so ill give it a shot just in case they are determined enough to keep these eggs. i think i will start the move today after work.. i wanted to start on Saturday since that will be my day off and i can do it in the morning so that they have all day to explore.. but i am afraid that the more time i give, the more eggs will be laid! does this sound good Sally? and thank you again for your help! you and lovezebs

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Mrs.Finch

Very welcome, and good luck.
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 pm

It is worth giving it a try.