Fighting- How long is too long?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Fighting- How long is too long?

Post by MisterGribs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 pm

lovezebs wrote: MisterGribs

Congratulations on the eggs.

I read your post about Zebra Finches being very rare (I didn't realize that you were in Finland).

If Zebras are so rare, maybe you could go into business :lol: .
Over here (in Canada) Zebras, are quite inexpensive. In the Pet Shops, usually $22.00 or $23.00 (15.80 -16.53 €) and from private breeders, between $5.00 to $15.00 (3.59 - 10.78 €), and quite often for free.

Glad that you have found an arrangement that works for your birds, to keep the trouble maker away from the other two.

You ask whether the Zebras will hatch and rear Gouldian chicks? Both Society Finch (Bengalese), and Zebra Finch, will usually hatch and raise Gouldian babies.

I am not breeding my Gouldians right now, but have one pair who won't give up :D , so I will occasionally find a Gouldian egg on the floor of the flight cage.

Seeing as theseZebras were sitting anyway, I decided to put the extra eggs under them and see what happens.

What's the weather like in Finland?
Luckily your zebras are so hospitable! My little hen abandoned her first clutch completely after laying the final one! Her mate didn't help, adding more nest on top of them. It takes a few tries I guess. I stuck them in the incubator on the 6th day of solitude, but I may not have got to them on time. I had one infertile, one bwe, another possibly infertile or early dis, and the last egg shows signs of growth, but I have a sinking feeling. There should be a 'spider of life' by now, but I can't see a single vein. ;(

I'm American born, but came to Finland to be with my cute wife. The weather is sunny and mild but jeez is it cold. You can feel your nose hairs stick together. The countryside is incredible, wild hedghogs everywhere. It's nice!

As for going into business, well, I'd be much happier rescuing and rehoming, but I would love to have aa few special ones I coukd know from cradle to grave.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 am

w.l. wrote: MisterGribs

Well, if that's so, maybe you should breed them!
Not for the money, but to increase availability of them.
Or no one would be interested in having them?
I'm not sure! I'm worried about overcrowding, but I would love to collect rescue birds and rehome them instead of breeding.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am

MisterGribs

Rescuing birds, would be very rewarding indeed.

However, watching your own babies lay eggs, hatch them, then raise their own babies, is a wonderful experience as well.

Regarding your pair abandoning their first clutch of eggs...
This can happen with first timers. Usually it's a good idea to remove all extra nesting materials, once your pair have finished building a nest and have laid their clutch.

Sometimes, they get too impatient with the whole process, and want to breed again.

Good luck with the little egg in the incubator. If you are seeing some veins, then who knows. If she had not started to actually sit tight on them, then it is possible that something or rather someone might still pop out even if they are off to a slow begining.

Thanks for sharing your story about Finland and how you ended up there. I love hearing about other lands (the weather, the people, traditions, foods, and so on) and have never met anyone from Finland before.

Living in Canada, I can sympathize about the cold weather. Even though I've lived here for 49 years, I have never grown to 'enjoy' and 'appreciate the Winters here, :roll: .

By the way, I love Hedghogs <3 , and have in the past considered one as a pet, but never actually gone through with it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm

lovezebs wrote: MisterGribs

Rescuing birds, would be very rewarding indeed.

However, watching your own babies lay eggs, hatch them, then raise their own babies, is a wonderful experience as well.

Regarding your pair abandoning their first clutch of eggs...
This can happen with first timers. Usually it's a good idea to remove all extra nesting materials, once your pair have finished building a nest and have laid their clutch.

Sometimes, they get too impatient with the whole process, and want to breed again.

Good luck with the little egg in the incubator. If you are seeing some veins, then who knows. If she had not started to actually sit tight on them, then it is possible that something or rather someone might still pop out even if they are off to a slow begining.

Thanks for sharing your story about Finland and how you ended up there. I love hearing about other lands (the weather, the people, traditions, foods, and so on) and have never met anyone from Finland before.

Living in Canada, I can sympathize about the cold weather. Even though I've lived here for 49 years, I have never grown to 'enjoy' and 'appreciate the Winters here, :roll: .

By the way, I love Hedghogs <3 , and have in the past considered one as a pet, but never actually gone through with it.
I have a good friend in Canada! I originate from Alaska, myself.

I can hear the hedgehogs coughing sometimes late at night when I have the window open! Heta, my wife and I rescued a very old and decrepit one that had gotten locked into a trash shed last year and let it go in our side yard where it doubtlessly came from.

You will be pleased to know that hedgehogs are protected in Finland! Not because they're endangered, but just because people love them. It's a serious offense to even scare one or hurt its feelings here. I've never had one either, but if I see one, I'll be sure to tell it you said hello.