White Zebra finch is picked on

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
theresak
Pip
Pip

White Zebra finch is picked on

Post by theresak » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 pm

I agreed to take in some zebra finches; 4 in all two that are striped two that are white. When I got them one of the white birds had been picked on and has lost most of the feathers around her neck and back of her shoulder. The birds have been separated by pairs but I'd like to separate the one finch that is beat up and give her a chance to regrow feathers.

I got these birds Saturday, so they are still getting accustomed to their new surroundings. I saw a recipe for an electrolyte water and I'm thinking that would be a good addition to their water for the week.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Theresa

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: White Zebra finch is picked on

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:49 pm

theresak

Hi Theresa, and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

Congratulations on your new feathered kids.

When we see a plucked bird, we automatically assume that it's being 'picked on', which is not always the case. Very often birds can get plucked when there is a partner who is preening them with too much enthusiasm (as in too much of a good thing, can become a bad thing).

Seeing as there are 4 Zebras, I would divide them between two cages and keep an eye on things. If she's with the plucker, she will continue to be plucked. If she's not with the plucker, then you should begin seeing some new feather growth in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

As to the electrolytes...

Personally I would not use them in the water in this case. There is really no need for it in this situation.

Clean water for both drinking and bathing, and a good diet containing a good finch mix, a variety of veggies and greens, and hard boiled eggs every second or third day, will work wonders.

I hope all goes well for your new babies.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:28 am

theresak

I agree with Elana. Boiled eggs and eggs shells are important because they need protein and calcium to grow feathers and the boiled egg also has the vitamin D for the bird to absorb the calcium.

Even my parrot gets boiled eggs during his molt.

theresak
Pip
Pip

Post by theresak » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Babs and Elana,

Thank you for the encouragement. The birds are separated now, I think I'll work with 4 cages and try to get everyone healthy. I've always loved little finches so I want these 4 to thrive.

Kind Regards,
Theresa

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:54 am

theresak

Hi Theresa,

With the right diet, sime sunlight, and room to fly they will be very happy birds in no time.

Enjoy!!!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

theresak
Pip
Pip

Post by theresak » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Elana,

You've been a great help to me. I'm thinking these little orphans will be happy soon.

Theresa

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm

theresak

I think so too :D
~Elana~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 pm

I had this with one of mine try separating it from the cage with a mate or one it gets one with then after a while let the others back in and it should be fine and fight back until they stop mine all love happy now I think sometimes the new ones have to learn the cage is there home as much as the others and not be afraid of standing up for there selves
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:47 pm

There is a product called "feather fast" that some of us use in this situation, to help the bird grow back it's feathers.

I would put an incandescent lamp on the cage 24x7 so it can keep warm.

Some birds take a while to regrow plucked feathers, so be patient.

I have noticed in the past that for some reason, WHITE or pied zebras, seem to get picked on by their parents and other zebras. I do not know what it is about the white that seems to attract aggression from other zebras. So keep an eye on them.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm

I've noticed this with a pied bengalease finch aswell when they are more darker ones they seem to pic on the odd one out
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:20 am

theresak You've already gotten some good advice from others, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! As others have said, sometimes white birds get picked on by others--don't know why, but it happens often enough. There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

theresak
Pip
Pip

Post by theresak » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you Gary and Sally! So much to learn but I'm happy to announce that my little white finch is sprouting new feathers!! =D> She has filled in on her back at the upper wing area. She is looking better but still has a ways to go.

I found a very nice double flight cage that can be divided it's 64 inches wide about 3 feet tall and 20 inches deep. I got the cage in a Facebook auction for $55. I cleaned it up with bleach water and air dried it before introducing everyone one to their new home. They have been in the new cage a week now and I kept the birds divided. Everyone is getting good exercise and good natural light.

I'll look for feather fast that Gary mentioned. All in all, these little birds have been quite a learning curve. You want to do the best you can for them. I think getting moved from their first home, introduced to a new owner and surroundings, plus having to learn that the dachshund in the household is not going to get them; well if I were a little bird I'd be a mess! :shock:

Sally, I'll fill out my profile a bit so people know where I'm located.
Thanks again to everyone, finding this forum has been wonderfully encouraging for me.

Best Regards,
Theresa K.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:08 pm

theresak

Hi Theresa,

So glad that things are working out, and that everyone is doing well :D .
~Elana~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:07 am

theresak

A 64" double wide flight cage for $55? That is a fantastic deal! Nice work!
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels