Should I introduce my two societies and zebras together??

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Should I introduce my two societies and zebras together??

Post by ShannTmw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 am

So far I have my two society boys (both sing all day) and one zebra male and I zebra female. I wanted to get a nice sized flight cage for them. I’m going to get a double one as soon as I can. My question is should I introduce all four together? The two zebras are together and the two societies are together. Kiwis wing does bother her but since Ambrose has been in with her she’s been more active so maybe from all the stress on the wing? She doesn’t fly (hasn’t been flapping that wing either) much so I didn’t know if putting her in a larger cage would be a good idea or not. Ambrose needs the room tho and he’s afraid of the dark and needs kiwi. When I shut the lights off he freaks. I hear little panicked beeps and squeaks. But kiwi gets him settled down. I have a nightlight for him but it doesn’t seem to matter haha.
I’ve put the two societies in together and java dances for Nike all the time. He jumped on him once then flew to the other side of the cage. So I got confused. But java is also so happy that he has his old friend back. They were shipped to the pet store together and I bought the one. Bout a month later got the other. Java always brings Nike hay and dances and hops. Nike’s tail feathers are coming in nice as well so he’s looking really good.
Once I get this cage should I keep them separated? Or should I try to introduce all four together? I was planning on getting either two canaries for the other cage or two parakeets (not anytime soon, 6 months or so) but I won’t if I should keep the two pairs separate.
Attachments
Nikes (darker one) tail feathers are looking good now.
Nikes (darker one) tail feathers are looking good now.
Only pic I can get of Ambrose. He’s so afraid of everything lol
Only pic I can get of Ambrose. He’s so afraid of everything lol
This is kiwis wing now. It’s hanging a bit more and looks more swollen...
This is kiwis wing now. It’s hanging a bit more and looks more swollen...
His is the cage. It’s 63’ long. Is this one good?
His is the cage. It’s 63’ long. Is this one good?
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Should I introduce my two societies and zebras together?

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 am

ShannTmw

I dont own zebras, so hopefully the zebra experts will fill you in on introducing the 4.

The flight you've chosen is excellent! I have 4 of those double flights. Those suckers are taller than I am, and they are about 5 1/2 feet wide.
Plenty of room for the finches to fly and zip around. \M/

The removable divider makes it easy to clean by securing everyone to one side. The price on that one is nice.

Kiwi will need extra perches if she doesnt fly, to get to food and water as it's quite spacious.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm

If I was you just add them together and see the way it goes sometimes zebras can be horrible to society’s and sometimes the other way round then sometimes they get along better than 4 of the same species

There will end up being a little squabble anyway but this is normal as they are determining who’s the dominant one and getting there territory and if you are adding nests put them on either corners and holes opposite facing so they can’t see each other whilst in the nest

Good luck :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:46 pm

I would never mix these species again after my experience with it. Zebras are persistent and quite vicious, ripping feathers and not letting the societies settle to roost at night.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Sheather this is not always the case though sometimes they can get along just fine I’ve had them in a cage half the size of this one with 4 society’s and they was fine

But I remember once I had one like your saying and it was horrible
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 am

Alright. When I get the cage I’ll try and just watch. Does any one else have a bird that’s afraid of the dark? Also about veggies to feed them. They seem to enjoy broccoli and some spinach but they don’t seem to care for pretty much anything else besides eggs. What else can I try?
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:01 am

ShannTmw

Mine occasionally eat peas and corn in addition to the normal eggs, broccoli, and seed. Wild grass seeds are also a good addition, provided that they come from a pesticide-free area.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Let us know what happens ShannTmw and I’m the same with Icearstorm I give peas, broccoli, kale, spinach, lettuce, cabbage and the favourite is water cress can try thinly sliced or grated carrots
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 pm

So far I have them in cages next to each other and my zebra male is very interested in the two societies lol. He sits on the bars and sings to them. He’s also so good with Kiwi and her wing, doesn’t pick on her at all.
They don’t seem to like a lot of veggies. They put spinach and other greens in their water is that normal? They won’t eat carrots at all, only some greens. They love broccoli and eggs but get bored of them fast. Too bad peas and corn aren’t available for me to get right now. Only frozen. So I’ll have to wait for those.
Shann

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:42 pm

ShannTmw

How close to the water dish do you serve the greens? Birds tend to toss things everywhere when they eat, so keeping the food more than a foot horizontally from the water could be useful. Alternatively, they might be taking the greens to use as nesting material, as some birds will try to build a nest out of anything. I had to stop giving my birds spinach for a bit because they would put it in the nest boxes and leave it to rot.

My birds don't particularly like the color orange and don't eat carrots, either. I mostly use frozen greens; run warm water over them, and they should thaw quickly without drying out.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 am

ShannTmw I give my birds frozen peas. I pop it in the microwave for a minute and break it with a fork. I don't mash it though. In regards to the bird with the injured wing. I have had young gouldians with injured wings before. I put them in a small hospital cage, but their wings would not heal. Then I took out the perches and mostly stopped them from flying only then the wings healed.
Marius