Travelling

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
zeebeez
Hatchling
Hatchling

Travelling

Post by zeebeez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if it’s safe to relocate zebra finches by plane? I’m moving across Canada and I am afraid that it’s too much for them. Does anybody know any good Canadian pet shipping companies that are good with small birds ?

Thank You!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Travelling

Post by cindy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Call your local airport and ask them if they can recommend any pet safe airlines.... here in the states Delta and United ship pets/birds in climate controlled cargo areas.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Travelling

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 am

zeebeez Air Canada allows dogs and cats in the cabin as well as in the cargo area, but they don't mention birds (most airlines don't mention birds on their website, since few birds are brought on board). I'd call Air Canada or whatever airline you are using, and ask them if they allow birds. Be sure to explain that they are tiny finches, weighing only about 10-12 grams each, and will make no noise, as most non-bird people think of parrots and the noise they make.

If you decide to take them in the cabin with you, send me a PM, and I'll tell you how I've done it, as I've traveled with finches many times.

If you decide to ship them, I can give you some tips too, as I've shipped many birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org