Finch smell

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Finch smell

Post by GouldieFledge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 pm

soaring-yonder

While I wouldn't consider it a "stink", wet droppings are more...odorous than dry ones. I'd keep this in mind when disinfecting your cages. If you aren't using a dry paper towel to knock off any solid droppings around the cage first (perches, grates/bars, etc etc) and you're applying the cleaner directly to dried poop, you may be smearing it around and therefore causing a smell.

Again, wouldn't call this a terrible stink that an entire family could notice. You could go much longer than a day of no cleaning without noticing scent from a finch. It does sound like there is more going on here, like an underlying condition or spoiled/forgotten material.

zeebeez
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Finch smell

Post by zeebeez » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Are you spraying them with water when they have pooped a lot already? I usually give them a bath when I change the cage lining. When bird poop gets wet, it smells kind of gross.

If their poop smells really bad, they are most likely sick. Here are some descriptions...

Abnormal Bird Droppings:
Increased size
Oily, bulky
Discolored to a shade of green. Any color from khaki to forest green.
Are often wet.
Carry a smell.

Healthy Bird Droppings:
Small with a white cap.
Usually have a down feather attached to it.
Have no sign of wetness surrounding it.
Have no smell.

Their urine should also be clear.

Are they eating well? That could be a cause... Try mixed seeds and fresh veggies (never give them avocado).