What’s wrong with my Zebra? Is this normal?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: What’s wrong with my Zebra? Is this normal?

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Fraza

Sent you a message on the thread """ faces to name """ :roll:

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Stuart whiting okay I’ll have a look
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 pm

lovezebs Oh yeah, now after staring at the pictures for a minute I remember those two. Kelsie had a clutch right?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 am

Fraza

Who is Kellie?
And whose Society bred with a Spice Finch?

You are confusing me my boy.

Regarding my Society Finch Kelsie...
It's not that she hasn't learned to fly, she can't fly well due to a wing that was not properly developed or damaged in the nest.

She bred with another Society Finch, producing 3 beautiful Chocolate Self babies.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:00 am

lovezebs oh sorry and yeh I was just telling you a story about coco whilst we was talking about flying problems with the finches so thought I’d tell one about my experience haha and sorry I read your response wrong I thought it said bred with spice finch :shock: she’s nice by the way
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 am

lovezebs and I didn’t mean to tag your name in the full post I was just ament to tag you for the little bit
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Fraza

No worries.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 pm

He told me it was where the ‘thumb’ is. If I could afford for the diagnostics and then for things after I would def do it. I’m just not sure how to come up with a small fortune before it gets too bad.
Attachments
3A40F12F-22B8-4ACD-AC42-0745BBB6E4BD.jpeg
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 pm

You can see her wing here.
Attachments
D6546CE3-4211-46C4-8CB7-4EE01F37E92A.jpeg
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:06 pm

ShannTmw I'm not sure, but I think lovezebs was wondering about possible amputation, as both bird pictures she posted are of her half-winged birds. I'll let her clarify that though.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 pm

ShannTmw sparrowsong98

Here is a picture of all that was left of Max's wing when he healed after his accident...
20160119_120459-1.jpg
20160119_120459-1.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
This was in January 2016.

What I'm saying, is that he has adapted to his situation, and is today a well adjusted Zebra, who sings and hops around quite happily.
20160223_173842.jpg
If a portion of the wing needs to be removed due to a tumor, etc. your girl can adjust as well.

From where the damage appears to be on the wing, it seems to me that it's something to do with with the joint. When you feel her wing in that area, do you feel a lump or bump, that you would associate with a growth of some sort?
Attachments
20171110_173502.jpg
~Elana~

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:16 pm

It isn’t the best photo but I think there’s some swelling. I didn’t want to stress her out too much by playing around with it so this is the best I could get. Since I’m new to finches (I’ve only ever had budgies but that was growing up) I don’t know how unusual this looks. Next time I’m going to take a pic of both wings to compare.
Attachments
7177AEF2-B696-431A-85E6-865567E077A4.jpeg
7177AEF2-B696-431A-85E6-865567E077A4.jpeg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Shann

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:44 pm

ShannTmw

Hi Shann,

It's so hard to see from the picture, but to my eyes it does look a bit red and possibly inflamed.

What did the Vet put her on? Is it antibiotics or anti inflammatory meds?

I know what you mean about not having the kind of money that some Vets ask for. It is just heart breaking at times, and even if you pay it, there are no guaranties :( .

See how she does in the next few days my dear, and keep her comfortable with her favorite foods and a warm lamp that she can cuddle close to. If she seems to be in a great deal of pain, personally I would consider amputation of the affected wing, or putting her to sleep.

These kind of decisions are so incredibly difficult and so so sad.

Please let us know how she's doing....
~Elana~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I had an english sparrow very similar to this. One vet said to amputate the wing. I had an appointment for it & cancelled just before it. I noticed he was using that wing for balance and some preening. The edge of the wing would bleed sometimes as new feathers tried to come in, but didn't grow beyond blood feathers. I went to an all avian vet, very well known, now retired. He said to leave it alone and I made a good decision to leave it. The wing eventually healed and grew feathers. There was a piece of the tip missing and damage to the outside edge of the upper part. I don't know what happened to him before I got him. He was never able to fly very high, just a few inches, but he was a very happy bird and lived 13 years. I would never have a bird in the condition yours is in killed! The wing will heal. Vets just like doctors, don't know everything. Remember your bird was doing pretty well until you went to the vet. Given the choice, your bird wants to live.

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

She’s on antibiotics for illnesses and possible infection he said. He also said that she was pecking at her breast and there was some separation there. I have no idea what that means. I’m not going to make any decisions yet, she’s been a lot more active for the past two days, beeping like crazy. But she still is pecking her wing and breast.
The reason I went to the vet is because she wasn’t doing very well, seemed very tired and in pain and stressed out. But it does look like dried blood sometimes on her wing in the affected area. There also doesn’t seem to be feathers growing other then the blood feathers.
It does look swollen as well. I’m going to try to get a better picture of both her wings for comparison and I’ll post those.
I’m still learning how to handle these tiny little birds haha. Parakeets are so much easier to handle to me.
She’s been eating like crazy and loving her egg shells and broccoli. She’s bathing as well as she can, she doesn’t go right into the water more dunks her head into the water. She doesn’t seem to like the heat lamp, when I have it on she sits puffed up and doesn’t beep or move much. When I shut it off she’s more active and beeping. So not sure what that’s about?
Shann