Do the zebra finch fathers feed the babies?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Wombat kisses
Pip
Pip

Do the zebra finch fathers feed the babies?

Post by Wombat kisses » Sat May 28, 2016 4:11 pm

My pair of zebra finches finally produced a clutch with fertile eggs! Two out of seven eggs hatched three days ago. I have a couple newbie questions!

1) Knowing that my finches are first-time parents, I am hoping that they have keen and protective instincts. Out of fear that they do not, I haven't cleaned the cage since the babies hatched. I'm afraid that the stress will cause them to abandon their babies. Is this a legit concern?

2) I've been watching to see if anyone is feeding the babies, because I n the first 2 days the babies were throwing their open beaks toward the sky whenever a parent left the nest. I've not seen them do that today or yesterday, and I'm hoping that is because they are satiated and not because they are weak from starvation.

3) I saw what MIGHT have been the male feeding them a moment ago, although when I tried to get a closer look he got nervous and stopped. I've not seen the mother do anything but sit on them. All I could see was him aiming his beak down into the nest, I really couldn't see whether he was feeding them, grooming them, etc. I wasn't close enough to even see if they were looking up or if his beak was going into theirs (meaning...I can't say for sure if he was feeding them). They are devoted parents insofar as one is almost always sitting on them, I just hope that they are feeding them in addition to keeping them warm.

4) Over the past several months, the overzealous male would often be pulling nesting material from the nest and then putting it back in. This often resulted in an egg being pulled over the side (inadvertently, I assume). I fear that if he were to do this now, one of the babies might fall over the side. The nest is only the size of my fist, and it seems that there is a real risk of one falling out regardless. Is this something that often occurs? I even made a hammock to hang below the nest so that if this were to happen, the baby would survive. I have not installed it though, because I'm afraid it might frighten them to the point of affecting their willingness to parent.

5) With it being 3 days since any eggs have hatched, is it likely that the remaining 4 eggs are not viable?

FLDoc
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Do the zebra finch fathers feed the babies?

Post by FLDoc » Mon May 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Wombat,

Welcome. Zebras, and Societies, are great parents and very hard to discourage off the nest, even after putting babies back into the nest. Both parents feed and sit, usually one alternating with the other. I routinely will take the nest with the babies out, then take the babies out of the nest, when they start to feather up, to band, then put them back in and the nest backmin the cage. The parents don't miss a beat. The hammock may be ok, but if in question, you can put a washcloth or hand towel under the nest and any accidentally tossed baby will probably be ok. If the baby is fully feathered, it may be out on its own. If you put it back in the nest, usually it will be right back out. The parents will feed it on the floor of the nest. Another reason for the baby being purposely tossed is that it is I'll or otherwise deformed that it wouldn't live. Again, if put back in the nest, the parents will again toss it. But you often don't know if it's an accidental or purposed toss. The chick,,if purposed toss, will eventually die on its own.

New parents may accidentally toss when spooked out of the nest. Just return the baby and all usually is ok.

Good luck and, again, welcome
Stu

FLDoc
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by FLDoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:31 pm

PS... If the eggs are no good, the parents will usually push them out after a bit.
Stu

zebrafinch13
Pip
Pip

Post by zebrafinch13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:42 am

With zebras it only take's a month for the chicks to fledge so I would wait for them to fledge but to most finch parents it doesn't keep them from taking care of chirping babies.

It is also instinctual for them to open their mouths to recieve food and after a few days they do stop naturally and only to it when they are hungry.

Male's do often help feed their children, and If a baby falls over just put it back and don't worry instinct will assist these new parents and they shouldn't mess up to bad. but those other eggs are likely infertile, but you might want to candle them anyway.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:19 am

Wombat kisses
If you can get a look at the babies, they should have full crops, seen as lumps on the side of their necks. If their crops are full, they are being fed.
Attachments
Chicks with full crops. The birds below are society finches, so they aren't as fluffy as zebra finches would be.
Chicks with full crops. The birds below are society finches, so they aren't as fluffy as zebra finches would be.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 am

FLDoc Icearstorm

Hey guys...

Wombat kisses' chicks were hatched in May 2016, lol. I think they've figured it out by now :lol:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 pm

lovezebs
How did I not notice this?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~