Keeping Gouldian Finches and Other birds. Can this be done ?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Keeping Gouldian Finches and Other birds. Can this be done ?

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:55 pm

While I now have had the 2 Gouldian Finches 4-months, I do want to integrate another bird into the home, specifically a Parrot - an African Ringneck Parakeet. Does anyone else have Finches plus other species of birds in their home ?
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Keeping Gouldian Finches and Other birds. Can this be do

Post by Sheather » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Yes, I have a number of different speices that associate peaceably, but none as large as a ringneck. If they're kept apart, I can't foresee any issues.
~Dylan

~~~

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Sheather wrote: Yes, I have a number of different speices that associate peaceably, but none as large as a ringneck. If they're kept apart, I can't foresee any issues.
The African Ringneck is approx. 9-inches, same size as a Cockatiel.
I can't imagine that there would be a problem. This species is much
smaller than it's larger cousin, the Indian Ringneck Parakeet.
Patrick

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:50 pm

I've seen videos on youtube of cockatiels living within a large mixed aviary. I'm sure adequate space will be the most important factor. (Zeus Canine i think is the videos' poster)

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi there,

I've kept canaries, budgies and finches all together over the years by making sure they are kept in separate cages, and given their own free flight time. Any two birds can become aggressive to eachother, whether the same species or not, so you need to observe them and make sure they are compatible. I keep 3 finches separately at the moment. One of them is so old (8 or 9) that the other two would probably kill him if they got the chance.

It should be fine.

Good luck

Zebrafincher

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Probably no or little problem in separate cages, but don't try to put them in the same cage.
I have seen finches whose fingers were bitten off by budgies housed together with them in the same cage by a seller.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:51 pm

JerseyGuy

I have quite a collection of different finches, along with two budgies.

As long as they are kept in seperate flights, there should not be a problem.

I know that some people keep finches and hookbills together in very large out door aviaries, but I would not attempt it in a a cage or small indoor flight.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:06 pm

I'm really referring to keeping a Parrot in the same house as my Gouldian finches - and certainly not in the same cage. Does anyone
have a Parrot in addition to their Finches ?
Patrick

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:20 pm

JerseyGuy

Hi Patrick,

Oh well then, that's not a problem at all, lol.

Many of us Finchers, keep different species of hookbills in the same household without any issues whatsoever :-D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:47 am

JerseyGuy

Yes I have a very large living room. One side of the room is my flight cages with my breeding gouldians. And a 6 ft flight for the juveniles.

The other side of the living room is for my indian ringneck parrot cage and his large play tree.

My ringneck doesnt sqwack much and rides my shoulder as I service the finch cages, so they have gotten used to his presence and dont see him as a threat. They are breeding normally.

As long as the ringneck isnt an ear splitting screamer and not allowed on the finch cages at any time. And house the ringneck at least 6 feet from the finches, yes it can work.

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:51 am

Thank you for your information on your living environment for your birds. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for a large cage for a parrot - which will limit the type of Parrot I want. Initially, I wanted a Ringneck, but unfortunately, they are illegal in the State of New Jersey. I was checking out the possibility of a Pionus, but again, the cage size is just to prohibitive for my living room. So it looks like I am just going to have to be happy with my 2 Male Gouldian Finches.
Patrick

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:36 am

JerseyGuy

I understand. It's very important to have a large cage for a parrot to play in with lots of toys.

I also provide mine with his big play tree, and I have a large play gym for him now in my home office.

Maybe a parrolett (sp) might be a nice choice. They are small and you can find them in need of a loving home on craigslist often.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:48 pm

JerseyGuy If space is a problem, I agree with Babs that a parrotlet would be a good choice. One of the vendors at the last mart had some young parrotlets, and I was very tempted. His table was next to the check-in table where I was sitting, so I was exposed to them all day. The only thing that kept me from getting one is that I have a dog that goes after any bird that gets loose, so having a tame bird that can be out of its cage is out of the question.

Another bird to consider is the Bourke. They are quite calm, and I believe some people have even kept them in the same flight with finches. They are also very quiet for a hookbill.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:14 pm

JerseyGuy

Hi Patrick,

I would strongly recommend a Linnie (Lineolated Parakeet Parrot).

They make wonderful pets. Sweet natured, intelligent, and incredibly affectionate, they can be taught to speak, and make wonderful companions. The trick is, to get them quite young so that they bond with you.

Look them up on line, I don't think you'll be disappointed :D
Attachments
This is a picture of Kenzie (RIP), the most adorable Linnie that ever lived...,
This is a picture of Kenzie (RIP), the most adorable Linnie that ever lived...,
~Elana~

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi guys, Thank you for the recommendations. Since I can't have the bird I want, my other option (for the future) is a Senegal Parrot. I have seen the Rosy Bourkes at the Pet Store where I purchased my Gouldian Finches. Unfortunately, they lack the "look" of a Parrot. They also carried Parrotlets, which are small, and I'm not familiar with their behavior or if they have the ability to speak. So since this is not going to be an upcoming purchase, but rather something to aim for in the future, I have plenty of time to do my homework. I don't want a Baby bird. I prefer an Adult, and many Pet Bird Stores seem to specialize in Babies.
Patrick